Got in some trouble with reassembly... Case 580 SE Injection Pump Shaft Seal

/ Got in some trouble with reassembly... Case 580 SE Injection Pump Shaft Seal #1  

page305

Tractor
Case 580 SE
Short Version: I forget which way the outer shaft seal faces on my injection pump and can not find specific info online.

I had thin oil and found out the front seal on my injection pump was shot after a dye test. The machine is new to me so I'm unsure what condition it is truly in.

I ordered the rebuild kit and stripped the pump down, pulled the front seals and realized the seal in my kit was no good, it was too large and was only one seal. I had a twin seal pump. While waiting for the seals to come in I have forgotten the orientation of the seals that I pulled out. Obviously the internal seal has spring facing toward the diesel but I'm unsure of the direction of the outer seal.

Reading online I have found diagrams of a DPA mechanically goverened pump with the seals in tandum and both springs facing internal diesel side but I have also seen a person mention (on a post about a 580C) that the seals should be in "butterfly" orientation with inner seal facing diesel and outer facing oil.

If anyone know for sure, please chime in. I'm about to guess with a 50/50 chance and my track record for 50/50 is that I'm wrong 85% of the time.

Tractor is a Case 580 SE
Pump is a U3042F150 CAV DPA

On a side note, if anyone is also on the HEF, be warned the reset password feature seems to be broken so better write your pass down if it's not an easy one to remember!

Thank for the long read guys!

/ Got in some trouble with reassembly... Case 580 SE Injection Pump Shaft Seal #2  
Look at the drive shaft spacer that goes on the front and is held in place w the c-clip..
If the seals go “back to back” you’ll see a definite wear mark on the spacer..(big circle)
If they both go in, there won’t be a wear mark.
Good luck

/ Got in some trouble with reassembly... Case 580 SE Injection Pump Shaft Seal #3  
On a side note, if anyone is also on the HEF, be warned the reset password feature seems to be broken so better write your pass down if it's not an easy one to remember!
What does "on the HEF" mean? Are you talking about the beer? :cool:

All my PWs are in a Roll-a-Dex sitting on my desk. All my PWs are different. ;)

/ Got in some trouble with reassembly... Case 580 SE Injection Pump Shaft Seal
Look at the drive shaft spacer that goes on the front and is held in place w the c-clip..
If the seals go “back to back” you’ll see a definite wear mark on the spacer..(big circle)
If they both go in, there won’t be a wear mark.
Good luck
Thank you so much for this info, I'm headed out to look now!

/ Got in some trouble with reassembly... Case 580 SE Injection Pump Shaft Seal
What does "on the HEF" mean? Are you talking about the beer? :cool:

All my PWs are in a Roll-a-Dex sitting on my desk. All my PWs are different. ;)
Heavy Equipment Forums. I miss my Roll-a-Dex.