Got a backhoe (Case 580CK) and a skidsteer (Bobcat 7753), now to build a homestead! :D

/ Got a backhoe (Case 580CK) and a skidsteer (Bobcat 7753), now to build a homestead! :D #1  

Mr Scrith

Tractor
Case 580CK, Bobcat 7753
Hey all!

Just introducing myself to the forum.

I recently purchased a 580 CK Backhoe, I think it's a 66' going by the serial (8299991). After replacing the choke cable this thing is starting like a champ even in below freezing weather. It has a few issues to figure out though:
  • Power steering doesn't work (manual does, and I have replaced the filter)
  • Battery box needs cover and bracket
  • Pops out of forward, reverse is solid.
  • Fuel tank is dirty, need to clean it out
  • No lights or any extra electronics, generator, ignition, and starter are the only electronic things that work, oil pressure and water temp are manual guages.
  • Tach doesn't work, and might not be from this tractor (it's cable-driven from the generator, but the generator doesn't have a socket for the cable to attach).
  • Standard set of hydraulic leaks (including a loader bucket that likes to drift up).
Even with those issues I've already put it to use digging out a few stumps and getting myself stuck... and unstuck... Thing really is a beast.

I also have an old Bobcat 7753 that I'm working on, it has the B.O.S.S. computer control, which is failing, so I'm working on changing it to non-computer controlled. Otherwise this is another fun beast that is super useful.

We purchased 17 acres of land and are starting to work on making that our home, currently clearing trees (as few as necessary) and putting in a driveway, so both machines are going to be put to a lot of use over the next couple years, and I'll be doing my best to maintain and repair these beasts to be in my barn for my kids to use when I'm gone. Meanwhile I'm having fun working on these things in 20-degree weather and operating them to start building our home.

/ Got a backhoe (Case 580CK) and a skidsteer (Bobcat 7753), now to build a homestead! :D #2  
I have a 580CK, mid 70s, gasoline engine. I bought it to install my septic system. It was beat up and is now more beat up. But I have used it so much. A really worthwhile purchase. Mine has the Shuttle Shift. Very handy. The brakes tend to lock up, not so handy.
Eric

/ Got a backhoe (Case 580CK) and a skidsteer (Bobcat 7753), now to build a homestead! :D
What exactly is the 'shuttle shift'? I've heard it mentioned several times but don't know exactly what it does and how it's different than a non-shuttle-shift.

The system I have has 3 different levers, on the column there is a forward/reverse lever (forward will pop out in the most inconvenient times... usually when trying to load it on the trailer), a 4-speed gear shift (plus a 'start' position), and a high/low speed (right now that doesn't seem to do anything, I think it's stuck in low). I can't tell if that's a shuttle-shift or normal system.

/ Got a backhoe (Case 580CK) and a skidsteer (Bobcat 7753), now to build a homestead! :D #4  
I think your tractor may have a Shuttle Shift. My tractor has a clutch and a torque converter. The clutch is for the 4 speed transmission. The torque converter is for forward and reverse. Like an automatic transmission there is no need to step on a clutch pedal to change from forward to reverse. You just move the lever. On my steering column too is the forward reverse lever. If you can change directions without the clutch you have a Shuttle Shift. Very handy.
Eric
What exactly is the 'shuttle shift'? I've heard it mentioned several times but don't know exactly what it does and how it's different than a non-shuttle-shift.

The system I have has 3 different levers, on the column there is a forward/reverse lever (forward will pop out in the most inconvenient times... usually when trying to load it on the trailer), a 4-speed gear shift (plus a 'start' position), and a high/low speed (right now that doesn't seem to do anything, I think it's stuck in low). I can't tell if that's a shuttle-shift or normal system.

/ Got a backhoe (Case 580CK) and a skidsteer (Bobcat 7753), now to build a homestead! :D
If you can change directions without the clutch you have a Shuttle Shift.
Ok, so I don't have a shuttle shift, if I try to put in forward or reverse without hitting the clutch it'll grind.

Thanks for the info!

/ Got a backhoe (Case 580CK) and a skidsteer (Bobcat 7753), now to build a homestead! :D #6  
You're welcome. Sorry you don't have a Shuttle Shift. I didn't know anything about this feature before I bought my old 580CK but I sure am glad it has it. For moving dirt and digging ditches it really helps. BTW, it's a good thing you won't be digging through scrith.
Eric

For straight digging I have a bobcat with a toothed bucket, so I'm good there, I'll mainly be using the 580CK for the backhoe function, so the forward being iffy isn't too bad, just have to watch it loading on the trailer.

Yah, if I was digging through scrith I'd be reconsidering the whole adventure. :D