Getting too old to step up 22”

/ Getting too old to step up 22” #71  
And if needed a 2 steps:

cable 2 step.jpg

/ Getting too old to step up 22” #72  
I too made a step for mine; I hung mine from chains though so that if I hit anything while in the wood's I would not bend anything the step would just swing out of the way.

/ Getting too old to step up 22” #74  
I turned 80 this year and remember a friend suggesting I write my age on the back of my glasses to remind me not to try the things I did 20 years ago. Now with back problems and a hernia, I think I understand but I an't giving up just yet.

Getting up into the cab of my Ford 6000 can be challenging. It is not just the steps but also the very small opening just in front of the left hand rear wheel - see picture. Refilling the diesel from a 20 itre container while balancing on the step is an interesting job too
That tractor is a beast lol

/ Getting too old to step up 22” #75  
I use the frame of the backhoe and then the
step provided works for me you see I'm 83
and so far can still get around OK Praise the
LORD!

willy
About the Anti-Christ

/ Getting too old to step up 22” #76  
My biggest problem with the tractor step is its width. Being old,fat and arthritic means I need both feet on that step before stepping in the cab. Heavy boots don't help either.

/ Getting too old to step up 22” #77  
I've had my B7800 since 2005 and that 22 inch step up is more noticable the older I get.
I've been searching the tractor forums looking for ideas in adding a step.
So glad to find this thread.
I like that idea of having a step you can put both feet on it at the same time.
I don't own a welder so I'm presently building a bolt together step.
Other than a coat of paint and some anti-skid product being applied on the step
I think I'm nearly finished. This step is 17.75 inches wide.
Ground clearance is 14 inches.

Attachments

• B7800 17.75 inch wide step.JPG
    B7800 17.75 inch wide step.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:
   / Getting too old to step up 22” #78  
I have a pair of Massey 563 tractors. Both under a 800 hours.
I was going to trade them in for new Massey 2706Hs.
A bit more horse that I really don't need but... I like new toys.
Went to the dealer, climbed up on one, too high.
They put the fuel tank under the foot rest so you can fuel from the ground. Nice. But now you have to climb steps to get to the operators seat.
I only fuel them up a few times a summer, however I climb off and on all the time.
I'm keeping the 563s.
My old man warned me not to get old, but did I listen.

/ Getting too old to step up 22” #80  
I heartily endorse the steps from Paul Short at Specialty Repairs. They are worth the price! I put them on my bx25d, no mower. Easy install, nicely made, non-skid expanded metal tread. I work in very rough woods, and they have not been bumped loose or bent after 2 years.

I also have his backhoe steps, which attach to the outrigger cylinders. They are far safer and easier than the stock ones. I have wonky knees, too, and these really help.

If you have the time and skills to make your own, go ahead. But I would rather work with the tractor, rather than on the tractor. And these steps are a lot cheaper than orthopedic surgery.

The Shorts were great to deal with, and delivery was quick.