GC2310 Wrong Pump installed

/ GC2310 Wrong Pump installed #1  

hknapp

I have had my Massey GC2310 for three years and have 788 hours on the tractor. It was three months out of warranty. All services have been completed in a timely manner since it was purchased. The tractor was sitting idling the other day and I went to raise the backhoe. I heard a click and a faint whirr?? and lost all hydraulics. After consulting the dealer I decided to see what was wrong myself. When I pulled the pump out I found that all of the splines were worn off on the first half inch of the shaft. Upon further investigation I found the following problems:
1. The pump shaft only went into the 1 1/2" deep gear 1/2".
2. The front 1/2'" of the gear was worn like the shaft.
3. The raised area on the pump which should have snugly into the machined port on the transmission housing wasundersized by 1/4".
A. These two surfaces are used to correctly align the pump shaft to the gears.
4. The pump was installed with a bunch of liquid gasket material to try to fill the void left by the underszed raise area of the pump.
I took the tractor and pump to the dealer. The factory was notified and so far has offered to replace the arts fo free. Since this is a labor intensive job, that's some help but not alot.
Has anyone else had this failure?
As soon as I get the old pump number I will post it so you can check that this pump is not installed in your tractor.
More when I get more.

/ GC2310 Wrong Pump installed #2  
A product recall might be in order if this is more than an isolated case... especially if this can be considered safety related as in the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

I hear Arbitration Cases and part of each case takes into account the service received. I agree it should not have happened and the offer of new parts, after the warranty, is a plus from the Manufacturer.

Please post future details... I've recommended this model to several.

/ GC2310 Wrong Pump installed #3  
ultrarunner said:
Please post future details... I've recommended this model to several.

....and several of us have this popular model, and will be interested in knowing more about this (hopefully very isolated) situation.

Jay

/ GC2310 Wrong Pump installed #4  
Was the tractor brand new when you bought it?

/ GC2310 Wrong Pump installed
I purchased the tractor new in March of 2005. I was told by the dealer today that the pump was changed in the 2006 models. The pump installed on my tractor is a Shimadzu GPY-10R708 470. This number is located on the face of the pump. You will either have to use an inspection mirror or remove the floor board in order to see it. Still have not heard more from the dealer or the manufacturer.
More when I get more.

/ GC2310 Wrong Pump installed #6  
Hknapp: Could you post your serial number, or send it to me in a pm? I want to compare it to mine.

/ GC2310 Wrong Pump installed #7  
I can't see it coming from the factory like that. I just wonder if the dealer swiped the pump off of it for another customer and then didn't get the right pump back in to replace it.

I am pleased to announced the Dealer called yesterday and said they would replace the pump including all parts and labor. I would have to purchase the hydraulic oil and filter. I am satisfied. I have loved my tractor and was heart sick when it died. I'll post when I get it back.
Thanks for your input and support. The latent defect idea was killer.
If anyone is curious my Tractor Serial Number is NT3548. Hope it helps anyone in this situation.
Thanks,
hknapp

You're talkin' about a major teardown to get that pump out. The only thing left after the dash is the HST and transmission. If that happened I would be surprised. There would be massive labor costs.

/ GC2310 Wrong Pump installed #10  
I've got S/N NT0654

Pump number is GPY 10R708 370

Not sure how it differs from the 470 you have.

If the dealer is willing to disclose how much this would cost without assistance from M-F, I would be interested in hearing. By the time I get the hours you have, I'm guessing they will be a lot less willing to perform goodwill repairs.