GC1723 50 hour Maintenance Questions

/ GC1723 50 hour Maintenance Questions #1  

Joshua 1723

Tractor
GC1723EB
Hi there. Sorry if these questions have been answered, I tried the forum search and still got conflicting info. I'm planning on following the manual, but my searches for info on the 50 hour have turned up a bunch of info on other GC17xx series that seem to have a few differences in the maintenance schedule. I was under the impression all these - the 1705/1710/1705/1720/1723/1725 were pretty similar machines.

My manual states the first hydro fluid/filter change at 250 hours - not after first 50. Every other thread I've read people are talking about doing it at 50 - worth doing or waste of time/money? Did something change with the 1723/25 to bump this up?

Next I saw plenty of people doing the front axle at 50 hours as well though manual states 250. A few people said this looked worse than the hydro fluid at this hour mark, so maybe this is more worth doing?

Any other tips for these at the 50? Any locally sourced oil/filter suggestions that are equal or better than MF brand? Dealer is hour+ away and would love to save the time and probably $. Thanks in advance.

Joshua

/ GC1723 50 hour Maintenance Questions #2  
I did it all at 50 hrs on both the 1710 and the 1723. Axle, engine oil/filter and hydro oil/filter.

All get switched to full synthetic (Amsoil)

/ GC1723 50 hour Maintenance Questions #3  
Manufacturers seem to be getting away from the 50 hour interval. But, I do not know if MF has joined that bandwagon.

It is a waste to dump out a lot of brand new fluid.

Some have found metal left over from manufacturing, when they removed the pick up screen, so they believe the 50 hour is worth while. However, that metal is trapped in the sump, and not a huge concern, unless it was completely clogging the screen. (The tractor would not move then). Most people find little or no metal there.

You want to follow the recommendations in the manual. I would verify that the 50 hour isn't required. The dealer will probably tell you to do it anyway, because they make pretty good money off it, especially if you let them do it. (Don't do that).

You should take about an hour, and give the machine a through looking over. Look for loose nuts, and bolts. Look for coolant hoses that are rubbing on things, or getting poked. Check the hydraulic hoses, especially the ones on the frame, to see they are not rubbing on anything, or getting rubbed by the tires, or other parts of the machine. Look for loose wires, and wires that are pulled too tight. Correct both. You should find the grease fittings that have been missed, or have not taken any grease, and correct that. (You may have to replace a couple. They are SAE thread). Sometimes, just moving the part you are trying to grease, will allow the grease in.

Many of us are using the Amsoil synthetic fluids. Although the manufacturers are finally, after 15 years starting to catch up and also offer synthetic fluids.

/ GC1723 50 hour Maintenance Questions #4  
I did take my 1725 into the dealer for the 50 hour service. Ray is correct, they make a lot of $$$ off it. $587.87 to be exact

18 for Fuel Filter
28 for 1 Gallon of 15W40
8.50 for a quart of something else
49 for an oil filter
26 for a filter cartridge
30 for a hydraulic filter
27 for "shop materials"
287 for labor

Free pick up and return, though :)

/ GC1723 50 hour Maintenance Questions #5  
Manufacturers seem to be getting away from the 50 hour interval. But, I do not know if MF has joined that bandwagon.

It is a waste to dump out a lot of brand new fluid.

Some have found metal left over from manufacturing, when they removed the pick up screen, so they believe the 50 hour is worth while. However, that metal is trapped in the sump, and not a huge concern, unless it was completely clogging the screen. (The tractor would not move then). Most people find little or no metal there.

You want to follow the recommendations in the manual. I would verify that the 50 hour isn't required. The dealer will probably tell you to do it anyway, because they make pretty good money off it, especially if you let them do it. (Don't do that).

You should take about an hour, and give the machine a through looking over. Look for loose nuts, and bolts. Look for coolant hoses that are rubbing on things, or getting poked. Check the hydraulic hoses, especially the ones on the frame, to see they are not rubbing on anything, or getting rubbed by the tires, or other parts of the machine. Look for loose wires, and wires that are pulled too tight. Correct both. You should find the grease fittings that have been missed, or have not taken any grease, and correct that. (You may have to replace a couple. They are SAE thread). Sometimes, just moving the part you are trying to grease, will allow the grease in.

Many of us are using the Amsoil synthetic fluids. Although the manufacturers are finally, after 15 years starting to catch up and also offer synthetic fluids.

Correct, I just purchased a new 1723EB today and there IS new Factory recommend intervals for these machines. Basically the 50 hours is a waste of money.

/ GC1723 50 hour Maintenance Questions #6  
Hi there. Sorry if these questions have been answered, I tried the forum search and still got conflicting info. I'm planning on following the manual, but my searches for info on the 50 hour have turned up a bunch of info on other GC17xx series that seem to have a few differences in the maintenance schedule. I was under the impression all these - the 1705/1710/1705/1720/1723/1725 were pretty similar machines.

My manual states the first hydro fluid/filter change at 250 hours - not after first 50. Every other thread I've read people are talking about doing it at 50 - worth doing or waste of time/money? Did something change with the 1723/25 to bump this up?

Next I saw plenty of people doing the front axle at 50 hours as well though manual states 250. A few people said this looked worse than the hydro fluid at this hour mark, so maybe this is more worth doing?

Any other tips for these at the 50? Any locally sourced oil/filter suggestions that are equal or better than MF brand? Dealer is hour+ away and would love to save the time and probably $. Thanks in advance.

Joshua

Welcome to TBN.

A lot of us have tractors going on 10 + years old, and our MF Operators Manual said to change the engine oil/filter, hydro/trans oil and filter, and front axle fluid at 50 hours.

I believe most of the manufacturers have extended most of these change outs per the newer tractors "Operators Manual".

For my tractor, I usually use Napa Auto for most of my filters (go online and do a search with your tractor model number), and for me I have only used Amsoil.

My closes MF dealer is 2.5 hours away, but I can call the parts department, order my parts, pay over the phone, and they will ship it to me.

Good luck,

KC

/ GC1723 50 hour Maintenance Questions #7  
Correct, I just purchased a new 1723EB today and there IS new Factory recommend intervals for these machines. Basically the 50 hours is a waste of money.

I'm curious what the new recommendations are? I have a 2018 2706E and it still has 50 hours for the first engine oil change and the first transmission oil change.

/ GC1723 50 hour Maintenance Questions #8  
I'm curious what the new recommendations are? I have a 2018 2706E and it still has 50 hours for the first engine oil change and the first transmission oil change.

I'm not sure what the exact hours are as I don't have possession of my machine yet that's what the salesman was telling me, I would probably think a 100 to 150 hours?

/ GC1723 50 hour Maintenance Questions #9  
Just in case there are some newbies reading this thread, to my knowledge the engine oil is still, and probably not ever going to be more than 50 hour intervals.

Dumping the hydraulic fluid, at 50 hours is what is being referred to here as a "waste of money".

/ GC1723 50 hour Maintenance Questions #10  

If it were me I'd follow my MF Operators Manual and ignore any "verbal words" of the MF Dealership/Sales Person unless they provide you with MF Documentation that supersedes the manual.

KC