GC1705 - dual front axle leaks. Diagnosis, parts, and cause?

/ GC1705 - dual front axle leaks. Diagnosis, parts, and cause? #1  

rossn

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1705
I have a GC1705, and it appears that the front axle seals have leaks on both sides. Can someone familiar with the topic confirm I am diagnosing this correctly?

Looks like I need to replace the oil seals listed as #13, as per the below diagram, and that is the only part I need to buy?

Anyone know what causes this?
I am at 283 hours, so this seems like a premature failure to me. I wasn't sure if it could be related to overloading the front axle with bucket or forks... I feel like I have done that before. I saw one post, where a person mentioned the dealer commenting getting leaves shoved into the axle can lead to this, and as you can see below, there is a bunch of stuff caught up around the tie rod end area.

I assume there is no harm using it in the meantime, provided enough gear lube is present? If I recall correctly, I just need to verify by opening the cap at the top of the first picture to confirm enough gear lube is present.

gc1705_axle_leak_2022_1.jpg
gc1705_axle_leak_2022_2.jpg
gc1705_axle_leak_2022_3.jpg
gc1705_axle_leak_2022_3.jpg
gc1705_axle_leak_2022_4.jpg

gc1705_axle_parts_schematic.jpg

/ GC1705 - dual front axle leaks. Diagnosis, parts, and cause? #2  
I have exactly that issue on my 2015 GC1710 (525hrs) on one side. Im going to have to tear it apart and replace the seal as well

/ GC1705 - dual front axle leaks. Diagnosis, parts, and cause?
I have exactly that issue on my 2015 GC1710 (525hrs) on one side. Im going to have to tear it apart and replace the seal as well
Must be a pretty common issue due to design. Did you also get a lot of small debris around the pivot point of the axle? 525 sounds a lot more reasonable than 283 to me.

Keep me posted what you find on parts or other info.

/ GC1705 - dual front axle leaks. Diagnosis, parts, and cause? #4  
Must be a pretty common issue due to design. Did you also get a lot of small debris around the pivot point of the axle? 525 sounds a lot more reasonable than 283 to me.

Keep me posted what you find on parts or other info.
I guess it all depends. Indefinitely put a lot of stress on the front axle as I use mine with the loader/backhoe/implement more than anything. Mine also started after I lent it to my dad who was definitely maxing out the front capacities and dropped the tractor in a foundation trench front end first. Mine looks like the leak is less than your but has the same grit sticking to the oil trail.

I won't get to fix mine got awhile as my daily mower is down and waiting on 2 parts before I dare take my GC apart

/ GC1705 - dual front axle leaks. Diagnosis, parts, and cause? #5  
check with dealer to see if covered under 5 year warranty if you still in that timeframe. not sure year of your 1705

/ GC1705 - dual front axle leaks. Diagnosis, parts, and cause?
check with dealer to see if covered under 5 year warranty if you still in that timeframe. not sure year of your 1705
Thanks - sorry, it's much older

/ GC1705 - dual front axle leaks. Diagnosis, parts, and cause? #7  
Sorry that happened. It's probably because they got a batch of junk seals.

Last year, I had to pull the engine on my Zero turn and replace the crankshaft oil seal. Same thing, junk parts.

Yes, I would run it until it's convenient to take it out of service.

/ GC1705 - dual front axle leaks. Diagnosis, parts, and cause? #8  
I had to do my GC2610 at about 600 hrs. Found replacing the large snap ring a bit tricky but got it done. Worst part of the whole thing was the feeling of having being violated when buying the seals from the dealer. Couldn't find them anywhere else.

/ GC1705 - dual front axle leaks. Diagnosis, parts, and cause? #9  
The seal leaking is always caused by other issues that allow the outboard to have excessive vertical slop in it. Usually the kingpin bushings are shot and they are easy to replace. Just replacing the seal won't cure the issue as it will start leaking again as the seal cannot seal with excessive slop in the outboard. I suggest at least buying a set of kingpin bushings before taking it apart. it the kingpin is also worn (unlikely bit could be, that will also need to be replaced as well. The bushings are inexpensive and easy to replace. Kingpins, not so much but you won't know until you take it apart. I would order the bushing in advance in as much as parts availabilty is a crapshoot today.

Easy to diagnose too. Loft the front axle and try wiggling the wheel and kingpin vertically. If there is slop (wiggle), the bushings are shot and if it's been like that for a while, maybe the kingpin as well.

/ GC1705 - dual front axle leaks. Diagnosis, parts, and cause? #10  
Just a note:

The left front knuckle on the Hurlimann leaked persistently from the day I got it (used) .

I topped off the gear oil nearly every time I used the tractor.

Then I cleaned off the area and pulled the grass out from the swivel joint to have a look, The axle has not leaked a drop since!

So, have a look. ;-)