GC 2410 belt change help

/ GC 2410 belt change help #51  
So, it remains to be seen for this application. But, it does seem as if it is still only a good as an emergency fix.

If that's the case, they have not done much to improve them in 50 years. ☹️
Oh, I'm sure improvements in material and construction have improved over the past 50 years or they couldn't claim that its advanced materials, high performance, and durability, make it a permanent belt option. But, as stated earlier, only time will tell. I just finished mowing five acres and checked the belt and everything was good.

/ GC 2410 belt change help #52  
Oh, I'm sure improvements in material and construction have improved over the past 50 years or they couldn't claim that its advanced materials, high performance, and durability, make it a permanent belt option.
Who says they can't "claim" all that? It's advertising, that's done all the time, it's called "puffery". So far, it does not seem to perform better than the versions from the 1970's. Which I am sure made the same claims.

My post was based on the Steve Bird "update" video, you posted. He determined it's was great for getting out of a jam, but not a permanent fix, and he was going to put on the regular v belt.

/ GC 2410 belt change help #53  
Who says they can't "claim" all that? It's advertising, that's done all the time, it's called "puffery". So far, it does not seem to perform better than the versions from the 1970's. Which I am sure made the same claims.

My post was based on the Steve Bird "update" video, you posted. He determined it's was great for getting out of a jam, but not a permanent fix, and he was going to put on the regular v belt.
Why would a well-known and established company like Fenner, which is owned by Michelin, be dishonest in advertising and make claims that it can't substantiate? I am sure they wouldn't want to get into trouble with the Federal Trade Commission. Truth In Advertising

In reference to the Steve Bird videos, keep in mind that he didn't say what brand of belt he purchased. It could have been one of the cheaper, inferior-made belts from China that continually stretch. He stated that he didn't install it properly in the beginning and that he failed to re-tension the belt which lead to its failure. And, while he said that he was going to install the traditional V Belt, he also stated that he would buy more link belts to keep on hand. As I am sure you know, all belts require tensioning over time. In the late 70s - early 80s when automobile makers started using serpentine belts, they also started using automatic belt tensioners to prevent damage.

In any case, until time and usage proves or disproves the longevity of link belts usage, and at this time I only know of two brands that are considered the best, Fenner Power Twist or Jason Industrial Accu-Link, I am going to continue using the one I installed.

/ GC 2410 belt change help #54  
Why would a well-known and established company like Fenner, which is owned by Michelin, be dishonest in advertising and make claims that it can't substantiate? I am sure they wouldn't want to get into trouble with the Federal Trade Commission. Truth In Advertising

As I said, it's called "puffery". Every company does it.

It's not considered "dishonest", to say things like, "space age materials", "new design", "high performance", "America's number 1", "durable", "heavy duty", "state of the art", "worlds best", "the last ___ you'll ever buy", "lasts longer", etc. etc.

A manufacturer could very well believe their product is all of the above. So, we don't get to claim we know they don't really believe that, and just made it all up.

Those, and the terms you used, are all dependent mostly on opinion, and therefore, are not considered false advertising.

It's just marketing, and marketing is mostly B.S.

Last edited: