Freeing up BCS 605 steering column

/ Freeing up BCS 605 steering column #1  

ransonjd

Bronze Member
Tractor
BCS 605
I got a BCS 605 (I think) where the steering column doesn't want to rotate. The locking pin moves freely, but the column is solidly stuck. I can't quite figure out where I would even put penetrating oil. Any thoughts on how I can free this up?

/ Freeing up BCS 605 steering column #2  
Not familiar with this model but, looking at a parts blowup, I'm guessing the 'steering column coupling #65' has seized in the housing?
Screenshot 2023-01-29 10.43.35 AM.png

/ Freeing up BCS 605 steering column
That would be my guess. I wonder if I'm safe applying a little heat to see if things free up.

/ Freeing up BCS 605 steering column #4  
That would be my guess. I wonder if I'm safe applying a little heat to see if things free up.
I don't see any seals or plastic parts in that area so it should be OK.
I'm surprised there don't seem to be any grease points?

I think I'm going to pull off the handlebars, disconnect the cables, remove the hardware at the bottom of the steering column, and then take a couple pry bars to the column. I'm hoping I can pop it up, sand it, grease it, and put it back together.

I'm well past the point of using just a lightweight sledge. A 4# sledge, prybar, liquid wrench, and a propane torch haven't moved it yet. (I haven't had a change to pull the cables & hardware and really get a pry bar in yet though.)