Ford / Fiat 4230 loader

/ Ford / Fiat 4230 loader #1  

luis1961js

Tractor
4UK 4230 Ford/Fiat diesel bucket loader
I have replaced the
battery, starter,ignition switch and I have no electrical current to turn the engine on. What is wrong, can anyone help a brother veteran out?

/ Ford / Fiat 4230 loader #2  
Does it crank at all? Put a voltmeter between ground and the stater and see what voltage you get when crank it over.

Check condition of both battery cables and the connection points.

/ Ford / Fiat 4230 loader #3  
Welcome and thank you for your service!
Can you get the starter to turn over by shorting the solenoid at the starter?
If so, I gather this is a Ford 4230 from approximately 1992-1997? They had a safety circuit add on for the US market that utilized, I think, a 40 amp relay. I am pretty sure it is under the RH side of the dash and needs to close when the PTO and …clutch?… if I remember are neutral/depressed.
Problem is, if the relay is working, the current is too low sometimes to engage the starter.

/ Ford / Fiat 4230 loader #4  
Have you satisfied all the saafety switches? You should be in the operator seat, PTO disengaged, clutch depressed, and possibly in neutral.

/ Ford / Fiat 4230 loader #5  
Here is the wiring diagram for the safety start circuit. #31 is the relay I was referring to. It is a 70 amp relay and pretty sure it is under LH side of the dash. The PTO switch is on the PTO handle underneath the tractor.
What I remember is that the wire gauge is pretty small and can't handle the current load every time, but also a switch or the relay could be bad.

By the way, a Ford 4230 is a Fiat 72LP I believe.
20230216_094915.jpg

Last edited: