Ford Compact Water pump.

/ Ford Compact Water pump. #1  

oldestgoat

Bronze Member
Tractor
new holland tc33da/ LS xr4150, Ford 1620
I have a TC33da with 1k hours and recently acquired a ford 1620 with about 1250 hours. Trying to go over the ford completely before putting into service. Any thoughts on when the water pumps go on these tractors? Or, preventative replacement?

/ Ford Compact Water pump. #2  
Not really a time on the engine or the calendar, but being they are both 20+ years old, from a preventative maintenance perspective, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to do so.

It beats waiting for water to start weeping from the seal in the middle of whatever you doing. You can also grab the fan (when engine is off of course) and see if the bearings are starting to wobble.

/ Ford Compact Water pump. #3  
I have a 1986 Ford 1310 and put in OEM water pump rebuild kit over 20 years ago when the original developed small coolant leak from the shaft seal.
It was little tricky to get the original cartridge (shaft & seal) out of the water pump housing in a shop press due to aluminum w.p. housing!
IE. had to be careful not to press too hard.

Very similar looking tractor as 1620 but with 1.0 L 19 HP engine (also 3-cylinder).

Rebuild kit was available at the time, but nowadays it looks like there are pretty low cost aftermarket complete water pumps.

/ Ford Compact Water pump. #4  
My 1979 Ford 1700 still has OEM water pump. Pump belt should be tight enough to avoid slippage but not too tight of a belt puts stress on seals, shaft , bushing bearing and cause premature wear. I know the whole pump can be bought from Fleabay under $100 for my rig. Do a search and you will find it. Most likely they are Chinese knock offs but available.

Last edited:
   / Ford Compact Water pump.
Perhaps I'll give the fan a wiggle and just keep an eye on them. Thanks!