Ford 8N high oil pressure

/ Ford 8N high oil pressure #1  

williamhutchinson44

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 5000, 8n sidemount, 4500 backhoe
The other day my 52 side mount 8n oil pressure dropped down and I changed the oil, it was time anyway. It was down low, but still running fine. I changed the oil, replaced the filter, and now the pressure is pegged out at 80. I haven't ran it except to move it out of my way real quick. I've tried reading through some older forums and a lot of people say to just run it but I'm concerned with the sudden spike. Also a drop of oil seems to squeeze through the filter canister if I run it for a minute. I'm not sure if this is from the excessive oil pressure or the seal. Any ideas?
I just run out and test it does drop to about 58 at low idle.

Last edited:
   / Ford 8N high oil pressure #2  
I wouldn't run it either as it will develop leaks such as the filter housing. You could try removing the filter and try that. Otherwise, there is something lodged in a passage or on the relief.

/ Ford 8N high oil pressure #3  
I would take another known good gauge and test the pressure.

/ Ford 8N high oil pressure #4  
Are you sure you used the correct viscosity of oil? Given the age of the tractor and the fact it's probably a gasoline engine 30 is probably the proper weight. If that's correct, I agree with John - put a known good oil pressure gauge on it. If that reads high, too, your oil pressure relief valve is not doing its job.

/ Ford 8N high oil pressure
Are you sure you used the correct viscosity of oil? Given the age of the tractor and the fact it's probably a gasoline engine 30 is probably the proper weight. If that's correct, I agree with John - put a known good oil pressure gauge on it. If that reads high, too, your oil pressure relief valve is not doing its job.
I ordered a whole new set of gauges I was missing a tach anyway. Gonna swap them out and see what it reads. They should be in tomorrow night.

update:
New oil gauage only goes to 50 and it's pegged out at half throttle. I pulled the oil pressure relief to visually inspect it but I can't really tell much. I'm gonna replace it and see what happens. Any other way to test it?

I wouldn't run it either as it will develop leaks such as the filter housing. You could try removing the filter and try that. Otherwise, there is something lodged in a passage or on the relief.
I pulled the filter and got no change.

/ Ford 8N high oil pressure #8  
You said that you pulled the oil pressure relief valve and looked at it. How about the spring? Some folks have been known to stretch that spring or replace it with a heavier one to gain better oil pressure, sometimes to help sell the tractor. If the spring is too stiff, it won't allow the high oil pressure to open the valve.

You said that you pulled the oil pressure relief valve and looked at it. How about the spring? Some folks have been known to stretch that spring or replace it with a heavier one to gain better oil pressure, sometimes to help sell the tractor. If the spring is too stiff, it won't allow the high oil pressure to open the valve.
I couldn't really think of a "scientific" way to test the spring. It felt like a spring, it didn't seem overly difficulty to get the part back in place. If the spring is weak it would keep the valve open and I would have low oil pressure right? I have ordered a new replacement set for that just because I felt like it would be worth it. Swap with a known good one when I can't test the other. The only thing of note I could say is that you could tell on the little plunger surface that it had an area that looked more worn than the rest of it.

/ Ford 8N high oil pressure #10  
To check the relief spring tension, it should be between 44 and 46 ounces when compressed to 1.4".