Ford 4200 Diesel Starter Removal

/ Ford 4200 Diesel Starter Removal #1  

Dakotacornman

Tractor
AC WD45
Good morning folks!

I have a sweet mid 1960s Ford 4200 with a 3 cylinder diesel engine, same as the others in the 4000 series as I understand. When the starter wants to start, it does, but when it does not, it just sits there. So I purchased a new starter to replace what I have. Two of the bolts are EASY to loosen and remove, but the third is hiding behind the starter and much of the diesel fuel system and I just cannot figure out how to get that one loose and removed. Is there a fun trick to this? Suggestions are welcome!

Ford 4200 Starter.jpg

/ Ford 4200 Diesel Starter Removal #2  
I have done the work of removing the starter several times but not particularly on your rig. On my 1700 the bolts are readily available. Before any work I would make sure the battery ground is off to remove any chance of sparking and frying any circuit. Is the final bolt behind the body of starter and the block. Do you have long extension with a flex joint that you can push through the opening. Obviously you cannot get a wrench behind it and it has to be a socket with extension passed the back of the starter. I hate to do it but if you have no access you might need to take the filter bowl out. I would make sure to exhaust all potions short of fuel filter bowl removal as that is my last option to remove Starter. Let us know.

Last edited:
   / Ford 4200 Diesel Starter Removal #3  
My Ford 550 has the same basic 3 cylinder 201 Ford and unfortunately I had to loosen and remove the fuel filter assembly to get in there plus even if you get the rear bolt out it is Very helpful to have the fuel filters out of the way to actually remove the starter and get a new one in position. You may be able to just loosen the filter bracket bolts to rotate the starter out.

Yes the tractor fuel system will need bled to get it running again if the fittings are loosened /removed.

I used a 1/4 inch drive and extension to get the ratchet behind and past the rear of the starter.

Good Luck

Last edited:
   / Ford 4200 Diesel Starter Removal #4  
Yup, that's what I was afraid of... bleeding the air out all the way to injector. That work is a pain and OP must be careful not to dork injector retaining nuts as they are tight. I wished a long extension would have worked well.