Ford 2600 gas model quit running

/ Ford 2600 gas model quit running #1  

t320pilot

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota KX 057-5 excavator , Ford 2600 tractor , Bobcat T320 with Fecon mulcher (sold), Kubota L2501DT 4x4
While bush-hogging all of a sudden the engine shut down. Plenty of gas, good voltage, all dash lights work, but when trying to crank engine over, nothing. Not a click. Let it sit overnight, then it started right up and ran great for the next 10 hours.
Now it will not start again after sitting overnight again. Luckily it's in my barn now instead of on the back 40.
I replaced the coil, checked all wires.
Checking points and condenser tomorrow and solenoid. Any other suggestions?

/ Ford 2600 gas model quit running #2  
So it wont turn over? I would say the ignition switch is faulty. Try jumping from the + post on the solenoid to the start terminal on the solenoid (while in neutral of course). Does it turn over? If so, put a jumper from the + side of the coil to + post on the battery and try jumping the starter. If it starts, then you have a bad spot on the ignition switch.

/ Ford 2600 gas model quit running
Yes, it will not turn over. Like if you try to start it in gear but will not until it is in neutral.
Ok I will try a jumper wire tomorrow. Thanks

/ Ford 2600 gas model quit running #4  
Hmm... I'm thinking it's a ground issue if it cut out while using, then works intermittently. I would remove, clean, and resecure your grounds

I knew it had to be something simple, the wire coming from the coil to the distributer cap had failed in the elbow on the dist. cap end. The copper crimp fell out in several pieces.
Then I pushed the wire back into the connector and the tractor fired up immediately. Turned off engine and ordered new wires.
Thanks for the help guys.

/ Ford 2600 gas model quit running #6  
I knew it had to be something simple, the wire coming from the coil to the distributer cap had failed in the elbow on the dist. cap end. The copper crimp fell out in several pieces.
Then I pushed the wire back into the connector and the tractor fired up immediately. Turned off engine and ordered new wires.
Oh hell yea,any time an engine wont turn over the first thing I check is coil wire. Plug wires will do the same thing. Best to just replace them than mess around getting shocked testing them. Blown headlamp fuse can cause 3 point not to lift and low tire pressure is the leading cause of engine overheating.

/ Ford 2600 gas model quit running #7  
Oh hell yea,any time an engine wont turn over the first thing I check is coil wire.
what does a coil wire have to do with a engine not turning over?
you dont need coil or plug wires, points or condenser, or lights for a engine to turn over.

Good question. Over the years I've seen engines that would turnover while cranking but not have any spark on a gas engine.

/ Ford 2600 gas model quit running #9  
Yes, it will not turn over. Like if you try to start it in gear but will not until it is in neutral.
Ok I will try a jumper wire tomorrow. Thanks

what does a coil wire have to do with a engine not turning over?
you dont need coil or plug wires, points or condenser, or lights for a engine to turn over.

Good question. Over the years I've seen engines that would turnover while cranking but not have any spark on a gas engine.
I believe the mystery in this case has to do with speed the problem was explained. OP couldn't explain it slow nor could he explain it fast so evidently explained it half fast.