Ford 1920 With a Rattle

/ Ford 1920 With a Rattle #1  

Jcichy71

Tractor
TC18
Looking at buying a Ford 1920 a few hours away and the owner told me when he was going over it he noticed a rattle in the rear PTO. He sent me a video which unfortunately I can’t post but it is just that… a metal rattle. The shaft spins fine. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with it, does it need adjustment or new fluid or are we talking total rebuild? Thanks in advance

/ Ford 1920 With a Rattle #2  
Don't know if this guy got his figured out but it might help you troubleshoot.

/ Ford 1920 With a Rattle #3  
The comments under the Youtube video from Jim say:
Yeah! The PTO countershaft was totally destroyed. I spent a lot of time replacing it and fixing the underlying problem - which in my case was the clutch fingers were out of adjustment. Newholland/Ford no longer sells the tool to perform the finger adjustment. It could be that you have the same problem, OR it may be something as simple as a clutch pedal adjustment issue. Take a video of yours and post it. Let's have a look at what's going on with yours. I ended up using my kid's play dough to find the tolerance between the fingers and throw out bearing. Once I had that I fabricated a tool to adjust the fingers. Let me know how I can help! Figuring out mine was a long journey
Show less

/ Ford 1920 With a Rattle
Yeah thats pretty much exactly what it sounds like, sounds like it might be best to steer clear of this issue. Thanks for the link!