Foot peg springs on Coleman Minibike

/ Foot peg springs on Coleman Minibike #1  

stuckmotor

Tractor
AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs
I have a Coleman CT200U-Ex minibike, camo fenders and fake tank. If anyone has ever replaced the sprigs on the foot pegs, please tell me where I can source some. The ones I've found include the peg. All I need are the springs.

Last edited:
   / Foot peg springs on Coleman Minibike
I have a Coleman CT200U-Ex minibike, camo fenders and fake tank. If anyone has ever replaced the sprigs on the foot pegs, please tell me where I can source some. The ones I've found include the peg. All I need are the springs.

Apparently no one on this forum has replaced the springs. Now, I'll take a spring off and try to match it from a Harbor Freight assortment or at my local incredibly expensive hardware store.
Stuck

/ Foot peg springs on Coleman Minibike #3  
Go online to Home Depot. They give dimensions on a number of different springs. I found some that worked for the recliner after one broke.

/ Foot peg springs on Coleman Minibike #4  
Post a pic, in a pinch I make mine on the lathe with spring stock

Go online to Home Depot. They give dimensions on a number of different springs. I found some that worked for the recliner after one broke.
When I pulled what was left of the spring out of a blind hole it didn't tell me how the part that flips the peg up attaches. I may have to order one complete peg with spring to see how they hook up.

I took the pictures, now I've misplaced the phone. If I find it any time soon I'll try to post them.
My misplaced phone turned up.
The photo includes the sheet rock screw that I used as an extractor with the tiny spring around it's threads. The peg is upside down beside it. The rusty piece of metal lying on top of the upside down peg goes below the peg.
Here's a link to an aftermarket set of pegs and I think I've figured it out.
My theory is that the spring never pulled the pegs out straight in the first place. They've been flopping so long, I can't remember. What appear to be little steel balls below the pins that hold the pegs and steel plates to the bike were probably pressed into the holes in the plates by pressure from the springs. When they went into one hole the pegs stayed up and when they were in the other hole, the pegs stayed down. I'll try to get by Tractor Supply soon and see whether the pegs are spring loaded or just the detents on them.
There's little chance of me finding a steel ball the right size to work as a detent and, if that's what they are, they fall out too quickly to be worth the bother anyway. If I can figure an easy way to keep the pegs down and strap them up on the rare occasion I want them up, I may do that. Thanks for the replies (they helped me think). I'll try to get back and let you guys know what I discovered about the pegs on a new bike at Tractor Supply.

20221229_155212.jpg

Attachments

• 20221229_155144.jpg
    20221229_155144.jpg
    664.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
   / Foot peg springs on Coleman Minibike #8  
I've never looked at the mechanism of the foot pegs. Mine stay down when I put them down and stay up when I put them up. I try to get a look at them later today.

I've never looked at the mechanism of the foot pegs. Mine stay down when I put them down and stay up when I put them up. I try to get a look at them later today.
Thanks for that. What you said confirms my suspicion that the peg has a detent to hold it up or down rather than a spring to pull it up. Now I won't have to check a bike at Tractor Supply.

/ Foot peg springs on Coleman Minibike #10  
Well, the picture didn't turn out too clear but there is a ball bearing. It presses against the thin metal sheet insert so there must be a spring behind it. The ball bearing appears to be about the same diameter at the pivot pin, but I didn't take it apart to measure it. I would guess it's slightly smaller than the hole the backing spring is in. Hope this helps.

Foot Peg.jpg