Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #332  
Don't know about dogfood pricing, but cat food isn't all that cheap! You'd think she could have bought canned human food (soup, chili, even [ugh] spaghetti-o's) for the same price. Canned pet food even smells nasty.
Someone’s been reading “Miss Marple”.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #333  
On the dog food/cat food VS other foods issue, I was just thinking at the Meijer store last night that $1.29 for a box of Rice Pilaf isn't bad at all and I'd get 3-4 large servings of it. Cat food is $1.59 for a can that's only 1 serving.

So, if I'm down on my luck, I'd go with rice and beans VS dog or cat food. Just saying.
We've always noticed that dog snacks. on a per pound basis. are more expensive than things like first quality canned chicken or canned salmon. The dog likes the canned chicken much better.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #334  
We've always noticed that dog snacks. on a per pound basis. are more expensive than things like first quality canned chicken or canned salmon. The dog likes the canned chicken much better.
Me too! :ROFLMAO:

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #335  
On that note, anyone ever eat a dog biscuit? I tried a milk bone back in my teens and I have to tell you, that was flavorless. I imagine particle board would taste the same.

It leads me to conclude that dogs have low standards.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #336  
It's all about the fat content and the act of getting it handed to you....
Now my pack gets all the trimmings when we butcher metered out over the year. Talk about having their attention when "treats" are on the menu. Except my "teenager" pup gets over exited when the treats run out, becomes a 120 lbs fur missile trying to get every other dog. Normally get his rear kicked by the big guy if we don't get him slowed down fast enough. He is finally getting the rules...... slowly.
I figure a can of anything is still cost more than a single dog biscuit and last less time per dog. All six expect their daily cookie at the end of the day.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #337  
On that note, anyone ever eat a dog biscuit? I tried a milk bone back in my teens and I have to tell you, that was flavorless. I imagine particle board would taste the same.

It leads me to conclude that dogs have low standards.
On the flip side of that, I had a dog that just pined for human food. Pizza was his favorite and when my 92 year old F-I-L took too long for his dinner prayer, the dog grabbed two slices of his favorite meat lover's pizza right off Pop's plate. Ouch.

After that he would say prayers with one arm surrounding and guarding his plate like a six year old. It was traumatic at the time but pretty cute in retrospect.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #338  
At least in humans the sense of smell and taste are related...since most dogs have a more acute sense of smell...it could be they also have an enhanced sense of taste...

...it might explain how they can even taste something as fast as they can wolf something down...!

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #339  
On the flip side of that, I had a dog that just pined for human food. Pizza was his favorite and when my 92 year old F-I-L took too long for his dinner prayer, the dog grabbed two slices of his favorite meat lover's pizza right off Pop's plate. Ouch.
Any pet that pulled that at my house would earn itself a one-way ticket to the pound.
At least in humans the sense of smell and taste are related...since most dogs have a more acute sense of smell...it could be they also have an enhanced sense of taste...

...it might explain how they can even taste something as fast as they can wolf something down...!
Then again, a dog will eat it's own puke. Can't imagine how that would be appetizing. :sick:

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #340  
Here's your combat pack food ration that was called the MRE (Meals Ready to Eat) by the late 1960's. They were actually pretty good and the ham and eggs was excellent. Pears were a nice touch and in high demand as trades.

MRE's weren't supposed to be too tasty by design but to be good enough while at the same time providing the calories and nutrition necessary to sustain a soldier in the field. If they were too good they would have all been eaten back at camp and guys would sloth around rather than be capable of performing their tasks with efficiency.