flaring steel hyd lines

/ flaring steel hyd lines #1  

Anonymous Poster

I need to flare some steel lines for a hyd project.I have never
used a flaring tool on steel lines so has anyone ever done this?Will a plummers type tool work ok?

/ flaring steel hyd lines #2  
I have $8.99 craftsman flaring kit, brake lines just tend to push through this double bar with thumbscrew clamp cheapy. Can you buy prefab, taking up slack with a coil bend?

I have done it with the small brakelines
it sounds like you might me dealing with 3/8" dia?

/ flaring steel hyd lines #3  
Steel lines need to be double flared in order to keep them from splitting. Most mechanics should have this tool. It basically is just one extra piece to a regular flaring tool. It is also a two step process. It takes a little practice to become good at it. Good luck

/ flaring steel hyd lines #4  
I have a Rigid flaring tool that flares 1/8 thru 3/4. A double flare assessory is available for it. Home Depot sells them but they are very pricey. It will do the job. However it only flares a 45degree flare. Hydraulic uses a 37 degree JIC flare. There are franchises that fabricate fluid lines. One I work at part time is "Tubes and Hoses" Perhaps there is one in your area.

/ flaring steel hyd lines #5  
If your're in the country, take it down to your friendly Grange supply or the equivalent. They will probably put the flare on for you at minimum or no cost. They will out here in the Palouse. Now having lines made up from scratch - that gets pricey.

Harry K

/ flaring steel hyd lines #6  
Why not use commpression fittings? lots easier than flaring.

Egon

/ flaring steel hyd lines #7  
You should under NO circurmstances ever use compression fittings in a hydraulic system! They are only designed for very low pressure systems. Never ever!!! They will blow apart under the high pressure of the hydraulic system.

/ flaring steel hyd lines #8  
What type of compression fittings are you talking about and what type of pressure do you mean? [ would a 10k psi stainless steel swedgelock work?]

Egon

/ flaring steel hyd lines #9  
I am talking about the standard brass compression fittings you see in the hardware store. If you are talking about the Swagelok company and their hydraulic type fittings that is completely different (yes that would work) but not a practical option, since I don't know of many places that handle that type of fitting or have the tools to properly "swage" the tube for the fitting. I would also have to guess that this type of fitting is way more expensive than simply flaring the tube. You could easily go to the phone book and find any equipment repair shop or hydraulic shop an they'll flare it for you. Also, most NAPA stores can do it as well(at least the ones where I live can, WI). Or as stated earlier just flare them yourself. The tool is very cheap and although flaring steel lines is a bit harder than aluminum or copper it's still very easy. Just practice on some junk tube first! Good luck.

/ flaring steel hyd lines #10  
"swage" the tube for the fitting. ?????

You need a tubing cutter and two wrenches for a compression fitting and they do come in many different ratings.

Egon