Farmall Super A froze?

/ Farmall Super A froze? #1  

hayboy48

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahandria 4025
Had my old tractor freeze , I think, you can pour water in radiator and hear it running into the oil pan. I stopped right there thinking it is trashed. Anyone have a good guess where the weak spot may be common to these tractors. I put antifreeze in but didn't crank it to circulate it. Tractor still runs ok but thinking it would be to costly to fix it. Thanks

/ Farmall Super A froze? #2  
This is a good question because unfortunately my father's 1949 Super A has also succumbed to the same fate. It boiled over one summer day and we put water in it to keep working, then forgot, and it froze up. It sat for a while and then we found coolant and water in the oil, etc. So I tore the engine apart, couldn't find any cracks in the block, so just reassembled with a new cylinder head gasket. But my dad and uncle went through it again a couple years ago, and said it had coolant in the oil again, ugh. I need to haul it over to my shop someday and get her running again (and upgrade to 12v).

/ Farmall Super A froze? #3  
Since they have wet sleeves, could be a cracked sleeve, or cracked block internally where the sleeves fit into the block, or even a leaking o-ring on a sleeve. Those are more common thana cracked head, normally in the valve seat.

Drain the oil pan, and remove it. Pour water in the radiator, look up into the engine block, and determine where it's coming from. I suspect you're right on being a costly fix.