Farmall H

/ Farmall H #1  

RyanL

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 1540 4wd,loader, R-4s
Hi, I just bought a farmall H that runs like new,new tires,battery,straight sheet metal, fenders electric start,lights ,deluxe spring seat. Has sat in barn for 3 years, paint is flakie. I was wanting to know the year and if it has the high pressure hydralics. The serial number is (FBH 373030 X1), I think it is a 1952, not sure.

Thanks, Ryan

/ Farmall H #2  
FBH = H
373030 = 1951 Series 351923-375860
X1 = Gasoline engine
High pressure systems had a yellow "*" painted on the resivor for several years.

Source: Farmall Letter Series Originality Guide; Fay/Kraushaar

/ Farmall H
RobertN, thanks for the info. I can find no yellow "8", but the tractor has already been repainted once before. I am wanting to make a 3-point for it, and trying to deciede to use the lift-all hydralic system and run the chance of it not having enough power, or just run a pump off the fan belt,with a 2-way valve with float.

Thanks again, Ryab

/ Farmall H #4  
I'm not sure if the H and M had the same hydraulic pump, but...our M was set up for two-way using the belly pump. The tractor isn't close so I can't check the way it's plumbed. I do remeber that the lift lever from the one-way was held in the Raide position so yhat there was flow at all times. The two-way valve was mounted on the ligt arm, to the side of the throtle. Hoses went to the back and were quick-attach under the seat. There was enough power to lift a pull type 3-16 plow. We used the same cylinder on the old JD 12-A combine. I know of a guy who had a similar set up for his 3pt mod purchsed from a Co. in MI.

/ Farmall H #5  
Ryan,

If you want a 3 point hitch for your H, you may want to look/ talk to www.saginawcountytractor.com They make a really nice looking 3 pt hitch for the H and they have cheap truck freight shipping. I almost bought one for my H when I had it. If you check out the discussion forum on www.tractorshed.com you can read about this hitch. It sounds like the way to go. I also think I have seen some used hitches for the H on tractorshed recently in the photo ads/ parts.

Good Luck,
Russ

/ Farmall H #6  
I replaced a steel pressure line with 3/8" cupronickel and it works just fine. Much easier to bend also. Just don't over tighten.. 1200psi is the working pressure. 1957 Farmall 350 Utility. Hope this helps.

/ Farmall H #7  
If you make, or buy one, use 2, 2-1/2" cylinders. I put 3 pt. on an M I had years ago. I'm thinking it was one of those Saginaw units. They made one that used a single, or double cylinder set up. It was slower raising, but had equal lift on each lift arm, and lifted anything I had on the back. I mainly put it on to pull an Overland scraper I'd bought to do some dirt work. I don't know that you'd have anything on the 3 pt. heavier than that. It has a 1-1/2cu. yd. capacity, and although slower than a normal 3 pt on other tractors, it raised it just fine.

/ Farmall H #8  
The belly pumps are o.k. IF thats all you have BUT a live system is much better! My SMD's had the live pumps up on the motor and my aftermarket 3-pt. used 4 inch bore cylinders. They would lift whatever you hooked on to,---well til the front wheels came off the ground.
The big cylinders ran fast for their size too.

/ Farmall H #9  
I replaced a steel pressure line with 3/8" cupronickel and it works just fine. Much easier to bend also. Just don't over tighten.. 1200psi is the working pressure. 1957 Farmall 350 Utility. Hope this helps.
The belly pump is much closer to 800 psi.