Farmall Cub-Still a Good Small Farm Tractor?

/ Farmall Cub-Still a Good Small Farm Tractor? #2  
The Cub does not have a Three Point Hitch.

Finding Cub compatible implements can require time consuming searches.

There was a Cub for sale locally 2-3 years ago for $1,800 that I wanted because it was so interesting but my work is woods related rather than small farm oriented so I passed.

I follow Ledgemere Farm on YouTube.

Tractors changed radically after Henry Ford licensed Harry Ferguson's tractor and Three Point Hitch design in 1939. Further industry wide changes occurred after 1955, when Ferguson's patents began to expire and his tractor and Three Point Hitch design were available to industry participants besides Ford without hinder.

Improvements in approximate order: 4-WD, Industrial Tires, Power Steering, "independent" PTOs, Loaders, Diesel Engines, Category 2-3-4-5 TPH, TPH Landscaping tractors of <2,000 pounds bare tractor weight, hydrostatic transmissions, shuttle shift gear transmissions, Cabs with heat and AC. And, continuously, shields separating operator from moving parts.

Last edited:
   / Farmall Cub-Still a Good Small Farm Tractor? #3  
They are fine machines to farm with as long as you understand their limitations. They are far better at gardening chores such as plowing, disking, and cultivating then the contemporary tractors. They are good at mowing with a sickle bar mower cutting hay. The mid mount rotary finish mower is slow due to the low horse power. They did make a FEL for them but it is not a "good fit" on that tractor.

They are geared very low but with wheel weights, front and back, and loaded tires they garden very well.

They do require tractor specific tools but they can be found.

There are several youtubes on them so you can see them in action.

We had several over the years and have plowed 1,000's of gardens. Running 2 at a time, one to plow and one to disk. Mounting the plows is a chore so one tractor plowed and a few days later we would disk the gardens with the other.

Ask any questions that you need I will try to help you.

/ Farmall Cub-Still a Good Small Farm Tractor? #4  
My grandpa used to have a toy (pedal) version of that. The 30+ grandkids tried to wear it out, but it was pretty solid. I have a small place and a family history with IH, but I'll take a more modern machine unless it is only for the historical value (2nd tractor).

/ Farmall Cub-Still a Good Small Farm Tractor? #5  
There are modern tractors that are built to replace the cub.

1 Oggun
2 Tuff-bilt Tractor
3 Tillmor

/ Farmall Cub-Still a Good Small Farm Tractor? #6  
I resold a 5' Woods(?) 3-spindle MM mower to a guy a dozen years ago for his Cub. His heirs will try to start it up tomorrow to cut sevel ac of the widow's 'lawn' that haven't been mowed in months, if this year. I wish them luck and will report how that works out.

/ Farmall Cub-Still a Good Small Farm Tractor? #7  
I've mowed with them... I wish them luck too, they are quite underpowered on a finish mower, at only 10hp...

SR

/ Farmall Cub-Still a Good Small Farm Tractor? #8  
I have a Cub but only because it was offered at a price that made it hard to pass up. The A has much more power and Super A even more.

/ Farmall Cub-Still a Good Small Farm Tractor? #10  
I have a Cub but only because it was offered at a price that made it hard to pass up. The A has much more power and Super A even more.
The A has an over head valve motor of a much better design and more hp, also a 4 speed trans, both of those make it a MUCH more capable tractor.

I like my A, even though it doesn't get used much these days...

SR