F935 transmission fluid change/ level not showing on sight glass

/ F935 transmission fluid change/ level not showing on sight glass #1  

canucklehead

Gold Member
Tractor
1979 Ford 1500, Toro 455D 10' mower w/ Renault diesel,
I changed the filter & TDH fluid on my F935. Manual calls for a capacity of 4.6 quarts, and to check level on sight glass. I'm sure I removed a lot more (it's been awhile since I did fluid change), and I added at least 5 quarts and never saw anything on the sight glass. What's the deal ?

the JD Low visc fluid is kind of clear and the fluid I took out was more like tranny fluid reddish color. Is it hard to see the clear fluid in the sight glass?

I know the reservoir under the seat where I add fluid is totally empty, and I assume it's supposed to be like that, otherwise there's too much fluid (??)

/ F935 transmission fluid change/ level not showing on sight glass #2  
I did the same thing using JD low visc and had to install a new tube to be able to see the oil. It's not hard to do. It's not fun either. If I remember correctly I just used a piece of new plastic tubing that I had laying around.

/ F935 transmission fluid change/ level not showing on sight glass
thanks PMSmechanic. My tube seems clear now, and before i did fluid change, i could see the old red fluid in the sight glass. I just can't see the clear stuff in it.

/ F935 transmission fluid change/ level not showing on sight glass #4  
There is a hydro fluid dye sold by John Deere. Part #MT3668. Just do an internet search for it.

/ F935 transmission fluid change/ level not showing on sight glass
thanks Amvcane, good info. I have some other auto dye used by Ford.

Frustrating they make it this complicated. They use a fluid that has the level checked in a sight glass tube (instead of dipstick) and then make fluid virtually invisible so you have to buy a dye to make it visible?? aaarrghh.

I had an Amsoil 2-stroke oil that was gold in color and impossible to tell if I'd mixed gas. I put it in a designated, marked container, but always second guessed when it sat awhile. I can't believe they'd design a product like that to not have coloration to remove all doubt. So simple. aaarghh!!

/ F935 transmission fluid change/ level not showing on sight glass #6  

elmer lawrence

Welcome to TBN 📣

The string you posted under is 17 years old. You will do better by starting your own post.

Richard