F-2690 and thanks to all of the info posted by F owners, John Thomas in particular!

/ F-2690 and thanks to all of the info posted by F owners, John Thomas in particular! #1  

RBsingl

Tractor
Deere 955 Kubota F2690
I had been considering a dedicated mower for my 5.5 acres so that my elderly Deere 955 compact has less mowing load and I am not so frequently changing attachments on it. I ordered the 955 back in 1995 with the 72" midmount deck, 5 foot rough cut 3 pt mower, loader, and tiller and have added an aftermarket blade and snow blower. Besides the usual fluid and filters, its only maintenance issues have been three replacement idler wheels on the midmount deck and loss of power once when a mud dauber either loved the smell of diesel and built its house on the fuel cap vent or hated the smell of diesel and decided to plug the vent.

I had been seriously looking at either a Deere or Kubota diesel ZTR but I don't have that many obstacles and I do have some rougher areas where ZTR bounce wouldn't be welcome and plenty of slopes and a waterway so there were a lot of areas the 955 would have still handled much of the mowing. But after looking at the F series, the front mount mower seems ideal for what I need with a bit more easy access than the tractor/midmount deck and with the deck out front I expect a better cut from the F 2690 in less than perfect conditions.

The Deere 955 is a fairly heavy compact utility 4WD with a 1.4L Yanmar diesel with base weight just under 2000 pounds without any attachments or a mower deck so the front tires create an issue with pushing down the grass before the deck when I often have to mow in damp spring weather and high lift blades only help a little. It will still be used fairly often with its brush cutting rear deck and for mowing along one section of the street where one bank of the roadside drainage is near vertical but the width of the Deere tires is enough to comfortably span the ditch and 4WD keeps it going where I point it.

I found a F-2690 at a local dealer that was ordered without any deck and they are getting a 72" rear discharge deck to go with it so I will continue mowing with the Deere until everything comes in. The 955 is under 1,000 hours so it still has a long life ahead but it will be nice to leave the loader on it most of the time instead of pulling it every time I need to mow. I guess I am trying to have diesel engines from all of the major Japanese manufacturers with the Yanmar in the Deere, a 3.3L Mitsubishi turbo powering my standby generator, and the 6.6L turbo diesel in my 2018 GMC pickup started life as a GM/Isuzu joint venture and I had the original generation 6.6 in my 2001 GMC.

I may actually start looking forward to mowing again :)

Rodger

/ F-2690 and thanks to all of the info posted by F owners, John Thomas in particular! #2  
I had been considering a dedicated mower for my 5.5 acres so that my elderly Deere 955 compact has less mowing load and I am not so frequently changing attachments on it. I ordered the 955 back in 1995 with the 72" midmount deck, 5 foot rough cut 3 pt mower, loader, and tiller and have added an aftermarket blade and snow blower. Besides the usual fluid and filters, its only maintenance issues have been three replacement idler wheels on the midmount deck and loss of power once when a mud dauber either loved the smell of diesel and built its house on the fuel cap vent or hated the smell of diesel and decided to plug the vent.

I had been seriously looking at either a Deere or Kubota diesel ZTR but I don't have that many obstacles and I do have some rougher areas where ZTR bounce wouldn't be welcome and plenty of slopes and a waterway so there were a lot of areas the 955 would have still handled much of the mowing. But after looking at the F series, the front mount mower seems ideal for what I need with a bit more easy access than the tractor/midmount deck and with the deck out front I expect a better cut from the F 2690 in less than perfect conditions.

The Deere 955 is a fairly heavy compact utility 4WD with a 1.4L Yanmar diesel with base weight just under 2000 pounds without any attachments or a mower deck so the front tires create an issue with pushing down the grass before the deck when I often have to mow in damp spring weather and high lift blades only help a little. It will still be used fairly often with its brush cutting rear deck and for mowing along one section of the street where one bank of the roadside drainage is near vertical but the width of the Deere tires is enough to comfortably span the ditch and 4WD keeps it going where I point it.

I found a F-2690 at a local dealer that was ordered without any deck and they are getting a 72" rear discharge deck to go with it so I will continue mowing with the Deere until everything comes in. The 955 is under 1,000 hours so it still has a long life ahead but it will be nice to leave the loader on it most of the time instead of pulling it every time I need to mow. I guess I am trying to have diesel engines from all of the major Japanese manufacturers with the Yanmar in the Deere, a 3.3L Mitsubishi turbo powering my standby generator, and the 6.6L turbo diesel in my 2018 GMC pickup started life as a GM/Isuzu joint venture and I had the original generation 6.6 in my 2001 GMC.

Rodger
I too have a Kubota F. Its an F-3680. I like it, but it has it’s quirks.
The thing will cut the steepest of banks, and I have 2 large area mowing customers with steep hills non of the zero-turn guys want, so I got them :)
I’m not crazy about the little tires on the front of the deck, but to their credit, they’ve never gone flat, either.
The deck height is a bit of a project to change compared to our Kubota zero turn. If the F’s had an easier way to change deck height, they’d be outstanding. Luckily, we cut at 4”, so we don’t change it much.

/ F-2690 and thanks to all of the info posted by F owners, John Thomas in particular!
Hay Dude,

The only time I change deck height with my Deere 955 is when I raise it slightly for two tiny areas where the 72" deck would otherwise scalp.

The lack of height adjustment ease with the F won't bother me because after 27 years with the Deere 955, I am very familiar with lack of height adjustment ease. The Deere midmount deck is meant to be suspended from the tractor with the gauge wheels only making ground contact on rare occasion so height and the more critical leveling comes from adjusting the deck suspension links. Once you get it dead level side to side and with the desired slight front to back angle, you don't want to fool with it again.

I have the Deere set for just over 3" and leave it there. I am really looking forward to having the deck out front so that I can more easily mow under several peach and apple trees that now take so much maneuvering that it is about as easy to use the Stihl trimmer instead.

Deck cleaning and maintenance will also be far easier, I drive the Deere up on ramps and go underneath for scraping and blade changes. I switch to a freshly sharpened set of blades after chopping up partially hidden sticks during the first spring mowing. Even though I always use anti-seize on the blade bolts, this year one of the three refused to budge with my large IR air impact. I decided it was time to try an electric impact and with 1,500 pounds of reverse torque my new Milwaukee 3/4" spun the bolt loose without drama. I bought my first small battery impact drill and driver combo set 20 years ago and I am glad I finally bought the big brother which is a lot more convenient than running a hose to my stationary compressor.

Rodger

Last edited:
   / F-2690 and thanks to all of the info posted by F owners, John Thomas in particular! #4  
I have a 2019 F3990 with the 72in rear discharge deck. I have about 350hrs currently. I have zero issues. I mow about 12acres of grass weekly. Been a great mower!

/ F-2690 and thanks to all of the info posted by F owners, John Thomas in particular! #5  

Rodger

Rodger,
I hope you got the Rd deck and your new F mower is all set up?

My F-3060 72" rd mower has close to 3700 hrs and after doing some overhaul couple of years ago is now in excellent condition.

Couple of comments:
  • My decision to buy Kubota F mower was definitely influenced by John Thomas. We already had used Grasshopper 61" front mower for over 15 years and wanted to get additional, but little larger 4x4 capable mower with turf tires.
  • I have removed the ROPS and put in storage, since tipping over on our property is not an issue due to relatively leveled area. It was always in the way when mowing around our fruit trees.
  • The size of the gauge wheels up front are bit of an issue at times, since due to our climate we need to mow even during winter & when the ground is soft. It's never an issue in normal conditions, but couple of times I have contemplated switching to lager diameter wheels.
  • Flip-deck access for maintenance is great.

IMG_5562.JPG IMG_5414.JPG

Last edited:
   / F-2690 and thanks to all of the info posted by F owners, John Thomas in particular!
Rodger,
I hope you got the Rd deck and your new F mower is all set up?

My F-3060 72" rd mower has close to 3700 hrs and after doing some overhaul couple of years ago is now in excellent condition.

Couple of comments:
  • My decision to buy Kubota F mower was definitely influenced by John Thomas. We already had used Grasshopper 61" front mower for over 15 years and wanted to get additional, but little larger 4x4 capable mower with turf tires.
  • I have removed the ROPS and put in storage, since tipping over on our property is not an issue due to relatively leveled area. It was always in the way when mowing around our fruit trees.
  • The size of the gauge wheels up front are bit of an issue at times, since due to our climate we need to mow even during winter & when the ground is soft. It's never an issue in normal conditions, but couple of times I have contemplated switching to lager diameter wheels.
  • Flip-deck access for maintenance is great.

View attachment 757626 View attachment 757628
Thank you for your detailed reply!

I spoke with my Kubota dealer this morning and November is the new expected delivery date because Kubota keeps pushing the date back for the deck. It isn't the news I wanted to hear but I am not surprised given what others are experiencing in wait times for Kubota and other products.

I am glad that my Deere 955 is still in great shape and I mowed again with it yesterday but hopefully I will do the first spring mowing with the new Kubota.

That is very good info on the gauge wheels! Usually the ground is firm by the first spring mowing but I can see where that would be an issue with soft ground.

My grass looks nice today but I am sure there will be some obvious stripes as it grows over the next few days because I had to mow slightly damp grass trying to stay ahead of a rain event that turns out to be a non-rain event. With the heavy weight on the front tires in front of the deck, the grass just won't fully lift unless you really creep along. Weather has been very odd this year with a somewhat damp spring followed by very dry conditions interrupted by a couple of 5 to 7 inch rainfalls. Normally that would be enough to get the creek to rise a bit but the ground is so dry that didn't happen 24 hours later it was difficult to even find a shady spot where you could tell it had rained.

Thank you again for the information and it looks like the empty spot I created in the barn for the new Kubota will remain empty for some time :(

Rodger