Excessive drift on GC 1710 TLB

/ Excessive drift on GC 1710 TLB #1  

rich1023

Tractor
mf
I believe that a new tractor should be able to hold either the loader or back hoe bucket up without bleed down. My dealer is saying otherwise. Has anyone suffered this issue on the Massey Ferguson GC 1710 TLB?

/ Excessive drift on GC 1710 TLB #2  
Define the timeline to see 1’ of movement and if the machine is on or off.

/ Excessive drift on GC 1710 TLB
Overnight the fel drops to the ground from 6" and sinks in the sand. While running I parked on solid pavement and measured 1/2" in 1/2 hour on back hoe while running. With the attachments off the machine, they do not suffer any hydraulic pressure loss and stay in storage position.

/ Excessive drift on GC 1710 TLB #5  
My loader will drop to the ground overnight if I left it up, not something I normally do to begin with but I was working on the engine one day and left the loader up that night and it dropped 2ft overnight.. Normal IMO..

/ Excessive drift on GC 1710 TLB #6  
Implements should not be left in the air when the tractor is shut off, as they absolutely WILL drop, and you're creating a potential safety hazard. So that is definitely normal.

I wouldn't expect much, if any, drop while the tractor is running. 1/2" in 1/2 hour wouldn't bother me, especially for a backhoe. I don't think there are any usage scenarios where 1/2" in 1/2 hour is going to affect using the tractor, are there.

Now, if the front loader drops in seconds or minutes while you're using it, then there is a problem. It should not drop in realtime, or in the period of a few minutes. If it does, then that suggests a valve is bad or there's a leak somewhere.

/ Excessive drift on GC 1710 TLB #7  
Crane levelers have high tolerance specs and special valving to prevent drop, whether running or not, even if a line is cut. "Normal" hydraulic cylinders will move.

/ Excessive drift on GC 1710 TLB
Thank Y'all for the knowledge input, much appreciated to calm my grey stuff!
-> Since this post and the work schedule I had, followed by the 2020 never ending cold and flu season, I have finally had time to get back to pre dawn search and rescue on the computer. This is not an excuse for such a delay, but the actual reason I am tardy with the thanksgiving. Thank You All!

/ Excessive drift on GC 1710 TLB #9  
Sounds 100% normal. 6" overnight on the FEL and 1" per hour rate on the backhoe is certainly within their specs.

There should be no difference if the engine is on or off as others have eluded to. The engine running does NOTHING to maintain position of a FEL or backhoe unless you are pulling the lever. But the 3PH is different because most tractors have a position control valve with a feedback linkage.

This is all in the design of the valves. There is NO seals that seal the spool valve to the body. Just a VERY VERY tight tolerance metal-on-metal valve. Thus a little leakage past the valve is to be expected under pressure.

Valve manufactures usually rate this by amount of fluid at a given pressure over a given time. Like maybe 10cc of fluid leakage in 1 hour at 1000psi would be normal.

Manufactures translate that for their service manuals normally. And convert that volume of fluid into how far something can drift in a given time. And yours is likely well within spec. And usually if you cant physically see it moving....it will be within spec.

/ Excessive drift on GC 1710 TLB #10  
Normal.