Evolution Metal cutting saw blade replacement.

/ Evolution Metal cutting saw blade replacement. #1  

crazyal

Tractor
Kubota, Case, Deere
The blade on my Evolution 380 has a number of chipped carbide teeth and several that are missing. So it looks like it's time to replace it. It looks like several choices. Does anyone have an opinion on which blade is worth getting. For the most part I only cut thicker steel. Is it worth getting the 15" blade even if I've never had anything that the 14" was too small to cut? Maybe allowing the teeth to cool a little more because of the larger diameter?

/ Evolution Metal cutting saw blade replacement. #2  
I don't have a production shop so don't go through a bunch of blades but since I'm frugal I pay attention to longevity. Smaller blade decreases speed of blade and resistance on motor. That has lead me to apply a little more pressure which has worked well. Eventhough blade speed is slower,less time lapses between when teeth on small blade engage material which effects cooling. Experimenting with running water on blades made them last longer so if I plan several successive cuts I try having water on blade which might be a garden sprayer in a pinch. I usually get what i pay for out of blades and don't have a favorite brand.

/ Evolution Metal cutting saw blade replacement. #3  
The blade on my Evolution 380 has a number of chipped carbide teeth and several that are missing. So it looks like it's time to replace it. It looks like several choices. Does anyone have an opinion on which blade is worth getting. For the most part I only cut thicker steel. Is it worth getting the 15" blade even if I've never had anything that the 14" was too small to cut? Maybe allowing the teeth to cool a little more because of the larger diameter?
Depending on how old the blade is usually chipped or missing teeth indicate crowding or applying too much pressure when cutting. Also important to have metal firmly clamped. Any chatter when cutting knocks off teeth. If you stop cutting before the blade gets too dull the blade can be sharpened. Extending the useful life up to 3 times.

/ Evolution Metal cutting saw blade replacement. #4  
To fast a feed rate will also kill a blade. Like xr said thin material must be well supported so you don't pinch the kerf. That will pop the teeth right off. I use stick wax for lube seems to help the blade last longer. Diablo steel demons have served me well. 🍻

/ Evolution Metal cutting saw blade replacement. #5  
I've been pleased with my do-all penetrator blades for cutting steels and aluminum

/ Evolution Metal cutting saw blade replacement. #6  
I've only changed mine once so far on the small saw and I just got another from evolution.

/ Evolution Metal cutting saw blade replacement. #8  
I would stay with recommended size recommended by manufacturer ... Larger diameter may increase FPM (feet per minute) of cutting blade and may not be to your advantage....

/ Evolution Metal cutting saw blade replacement.
I would stay with recommended size recommended by manufacturer ... Larger diameter may increase FPM (feet per minute) of cutting blade and may not be to your advantage....
14" is the standard size while 15" is an optional size. But I think only Evolution makes a blade that size.

I think the chipped teeth happened from cutting thin metal. Even when new the blade seems to throw off sparks so I put almost no pressure on the blade.

/ Evolution Metal cutting saw blade replacement.
This guy does some great comparisons.
I would like to have seen the teeth on each blade after the last test. I was surprised how many blades showed signs of chipping after such short use. I was leaning towards getting another Evolution blade but the Diablo was also on my list. In part because they are made in japan and Italy. Diablo is Freud's cheaper brand so I was a little leery of it. But the last time he showed the teeth and the Evolution was already showing signs of chipping yet the Diablo didn't I'm now leaning towards trying it.