Electric over hydraulic valve malfunction...help!

/ Electric over hydraulic valve malfunction...help! #1  

HCJ

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800 4WD
I picked up my new FEL with a grapple. It has a WRLong electric over hydraulic valve. My dealer installed it and the service was pretty poor! That's another story. When they connected the grapple and quick connects for the first time, the grapple would open but not close. While I watched, the installer fiddled with the cylinder that the electical switch obviously controls. Sorry, but I don't know the name of this part. It has two hexagonal plastic caps, one on top and one on the bottom, with a small spring loaded piston in the center. It started working. I trailered it back 30 miles to my place, cranked it up and of course, it didn't work. So with all my knowledge, I did what he did, compressed the little valve on the top of the cylinder, removed the cap, spring, small piston, and then put it back together. Amazingly it worked perfectly all day. The next day, same thing, didn't work, cursed and fiddled with it and it started working. I am not sure if the cursing or my mechanical skills fixed it. Not wanting to trailer this back to my dealer, where they don't seem to know much more than I do, can somebody explain to me the workings of this electric valve, name it for me so I don't seem so stupid, and tell me how to fix it properly. And why does my pressing on the spring and disassembly of whatever I disassembled fix it, although for only one day? Sorry I have no pix, but surely someone knows what I am talking about. The cylindrical part is obviously the electric valve that diverts fluid to open and close the grapple. The problem is always closing it, in other words the grapple is stuck open. The top spring seems to be the one faulty.

/ Electric over hydraulic valve malfunction...help! #3  
HJC...You have the "diverter" valve correct? Just a single momentary switch on the joystick? When you press the button the joystick work the grapple rather than the dump/curl? I just need to clarify what you have...

If so, Then I suspect your problem may be the "regen" or "regenerative" function of the loader valve. This "feature" is active in the first part of the joystick throw and will cause the exact problem you are describing...

Try this please-Move the joystick FULL right and see if the grapple closes.

Also try searching the term "regen" for LOTS of reading on this subject...and please reply back after you try what I suggested.

/ Electric over hydraulic valve malfunction...help! #4  
valve_kits.htm

My valve is a true third function that allows me to curl, raise/lower, and close grapple at the same time. There is a switch on the hand grip that controls the function of the close/open function. I did try moving the control lever all directions but that did not help. Only when I pushed on the spring and disassembled the top of this valve did it begin to function. There is a picture of this part on WRLongs website under Valve Kits, electric over hydraulic valves, shown mounted on a Kubota L39.

/ Electric over hydraulic valve malfunction...help! #5  
It has two hexagonal plastic caps, one on top and one on the bottom, with a small spring loaded piston in the center.

HCJ, the plastic caps, which have the wire connectors in them, are the
solenoids that operate the two spool valves in the diverter. The piston
you removed is probably the spool, which needs to slide inside the valve
body (cylinder) with infinitesimally small clearance. If there is the slightest
bit of crud in there, it will stick. Sounds like that is what is happening,
unless your wire connections are intermitttant. That's a good possibility, too.

Next time you have to open it up, take a photo and post it here.

/ Electric over hydraulic valve malfunction...help! #6  
valve_kits.htm

My valve is a true third function that allows me to curl, raise/lower, and close grapple at the same time. There is a switch on the hand grip that controls the function of the close/open function. I did try moving the control lever all directions but that did not help. Only when I pushed on the spring and disassembled the top of this valve did it begin to function. There is a picture of this part on WRLongs website under Valve Kits, electric over hydraulic valves, shown mounted on a Kubota L39.

OK then, best to probably get a replacement valve, unless the wiring is boogered up because you said:
My dealer installed it and the service was pretty poor! That's another story

/ Electric over hydraulic valve malfunction...help! #7  
Thanks dfkrug, I will disassemble this next weekend and see if I see anything. Since this was brand new and malfunctioned, I would hope there was no crud involved. I spoke to the tech support at WRLong and they are sending me a new valve to try. They also mentioned that it's possible it was installed 180 degrees off, which could cause malfunction. I will check for that. Thanks for the reply. My curiosity leads me to ask: what is" bucket dentistry"??

/ Electric over hydraulic valve malfunction...help! #8  
You have 2 log-in names?

/ Electric over hydraulic valve malfunction...help! #9  
Dave, I answered my own question. I looked through the posts you have about all of your custom fabrications. You are skillful! I always wanted to have the welding skills and design ability that you have. You have done some cool things! I am a dentist (wannabe heavy equipment operator), so I am used to working on a much smaller scale! Don't have much use for a plasma cutter in the mouth.

/ Electric over hydraulic valve malfunction...help! #10  
You have 2 log-in names?

Yes, since I use a computer at work and at home, I registered in both places. I guess I should figure out how to combine them into one, if possible. I didn't think it really mattered.