Drive issues w/ John Deere Z-track Z535M

/ Drive issues w/ John Deere Z-track Z535M #1  

TxFig

Tractor
John Deere 3032e
I have a problem with my mower that after talking to several different repair shops, I am CONVINCED is either a design flaw or a manufacturing defect. My John Deere Z535M Z-track was purchased directly from a John Deere dealership (ie. not tractor supply or Lowes) 3 years ago.

After the first year (I somehow did not get their "extended warranty") I started having issues with the drive transmission (forgive me if I call parts by the wrong name). In essence, when I push on the handles, the left side would grind & whine and not go at the same speed as the right side. I did a search on the problem and found an adjustment for the handles - which helped a little. For a little while.

It is to the point now that I can only mow for ~15 minutes - until it gets warmed up good. Once that happens, the left side will simply not move (neither forward nor reverse) - it just sits there and makes a grinding/whine while I spin in circles.

Here is why I think this is a manufacturer defect - even now, at 3 years, the mower only has 240 hours on it. The last mechanic I took it too seemed to know exactly about the problem - but he was shocked when he looked at the hours - indicating that he usually only sees this on mowers with well over 1000 hours. The transmission is supposed to be one of those "no maintenance" type units. On other mowers he has fixed required pulling the transmission out completely and replacing the entire unit.

Is this a known problem?
Is there some way I can FORCE John Deere to repair this (the same way that car makers issue product recalls)?

/ Drive issues w/ John Deere Z-track Z535M #2  
In essence you have a damaged hydrostat transaxle. Being outside the warranty period unfortunately you are out of luck. And JD wouldn't be paying for the unit anyway. That would fall under the transaxle manufacturer which is most likely either Hydrogear or Tuff-torq. And recalls are never issued for part failures unless that failure causes possible loss of life or property.
Now failing at that low hour is unusual but not unheard off. I have seen that issue on mowers that have been used for towing or used on steep yards, or having grass buildup on the unit leading to overheating. But then you will also see the occasional fluke.

/ Drive issues w/ John Deere Z-track Z535M
I do not care that John Deere didn't make it - they have it in their branded equipment.
I can promise I'll never buy another John Deere product ever again.

/ Drive issues w/ John Deere Z-track Z535M #4  
I do not care that John Deere didn't make it - they have it in their branded equipment.
I can promise I'll never buy another John Deere product ever again.
I'm sure they don't care either. It's probably Hydrogear not Tuff Torque and it is rebuildable but it ain't cheap.

/ Drive issues w/ John Deere Z-track Z535M #6  
Tx
Are there separate drive units on that machine driven by two separate belts? If yes you confirmed it is not a bad idler on the drive or a slipping belt vs bad transaxle?

/ Drive issues w/ John Deere Z-track Z535M #7  
So this is a single belt, but your logic is good. Several times I have seen ZTRs with a lazy side and it was simply the belt not being up to par. Or the bypass not fully disengaged. You could also call Tuff Torque too. They do have a decent CAC. I assume these would be about 1000$ a pop. Maybe less if you search the web via part number.