Doorman’s next big adventure

/ Doorman’s next big adventure #1  

Doorman63

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501HST
We currently have some property in southern Illinois that we refer to as “the farm”. We don’t grow anything there (yet) but the term/name has stuck.

Currently have a 40x60 barn/barndomium that was on the property when we bought it almost 3yrs ago.

My father in law sold his home in southern Michigan late last year and is currently “homeless”……staying in his 28’ camper for the winter outside Orlando Florida. He approached my wife and I shortly after and asked us to find him a place close by our farm that he could stay in when he wasn't in Florida.

He gave my wife some of her inheritance to use towards funding the house.
We looked in a few towns within 20 miles of our place and never found the “one”. The thought of maintaining one more piece of property never appealed to me…..and that lead us to our current plan.

We’re gonna build a 24x40 barn/barndo for him on our current property. Ultimately it will be my wife’s she shed/barn for her future chickens/goats/mini cows.

More info to follow

Attachments

• D6415390-5EC3-458F-B133-213532B711DF.jpeg
    D6415390-5EC3-458F-B133-213532B711DF.jpeg
    412.5 KB · Views: 477
   / Doorman’s next big adventure
Outline of our property and crappy box drawn with approx location of the new building.

New building is about 100’ from existing building

Attachments

• F86E7224-2584-4ACE-A6AE-4B78E829F2EC.jpeg
    F86E7224-2584-4ACE-A6AE-4B78E829F2EC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 321
  • F030239E-5627-4FC8-8B95-6492BBA85C25.jpeg
    F030239E-5627-4FC8-8B95-6492BBA85C25.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 317
Utilities

Water
Tapping into existing water line in our current building.
Water company wanted approx $2000 for a new meter by the road….approx 900’ away.

Tapping into existing water should cost approx $300

Electric
A new pole/meter/security light/200 amp disconnect approx 150’ from existing pile is about $1900.
The pole has to be installed no more than 20’ from a gravel drive……current drive will need to be extended approx 150’. Estimating 800-1000 for the stone/fabric.

Septic
We initially thought we’d need to install a system similar to what our current building has. That is approx $6500. When my septic guy came out and looked at the sight and listened to our usage he recommended a different set up.
100 gallon tank with a grinder pump and running 2” pipe to our existing tank….$3200

Other “costs” so far

2” closed cell spray foam on walls/ceiling $7200

1000sq ft of drywall mud/tape/painted…$1700
Drywall hung be me.

Plenty of other things we’ve napkin priced out…..nothing set in stone yet……wife did buy a bathroom vanity!

Total budget is between 60-70,000.
Looks like we will be smack in the middle!

/ Doorman’s next big adventure #4  
Septic pump is to be avoided in my experience. I would spend the money for a separate system. Consider power outage, pump issues, extra load on existing system, Pump issues... replacement pump. ... did I say pump issues ? :cry:

The part of Illinois we are in an aerobic treatment plant is the typical system.
Tank/aerator/outflow pipe to a creek

In the three years of ownership we’ve spent $400 to repair it. When we bought the place the aerator pump was broke and I didn’t know better.
Based on one person using it a few months a year and understanding the pros/cons I’m willing to take the gamble.

/ Doorman’s next big adventure #7  
I'd build taller and bigger, any thoughts about just backing the 28 ft'er inside for living quarters.
If not "allowed" by codes, just outlaw it. Out of sight out of mind.
A 10 ft tall door is marginal for many larger tractors, an 11 or 12' will clear most all.
I like a 12'x12' door or even 14' wide.

/ Doorman’s next big adventure #8  
I'd build taller and bigger, any thoughts about just backing the 28 ft'er inside for living quarters.
A 10 ft tall door is marginal for many larger tractors, an 11 or 12' will clear most all.
The issue with that is the snooping around zoning officials. You get caught, you'll wish you had complied and the 'Land of Lincoln' is noted for strict zoning codes among other unsavory stuff.

Better check the local zoning (if any), They are not allowed here.
My septic contractor who is licensed says this system falls outside “code”.

Technically we aren’t installing a new system-just adding to existing.

He’s gotta warranty the system. My neighbor (who has excavated stuff for this contractor and uses him for his own home) considers him an honest man……he could’ve installed a $6500 system but recommended against it. Hard to argue with that.

We don’t want bigger or taller Lou…..let me clarify….the WIFE doesn’t want bigger/taller.