Do you use your tractor in a fenced in Garden?

/ Do you use your tractor in a fenced in Garden? #1  

Raul-02

Veteran Member
the armpit of the entire universe New Jersey
Tractor
kioti DK4710 SE HST CAB
I am planning on a fairly large garden. Because I live in a psychotic State the Deer are like zombie hoards and you can't do anything to deter them that might offend Bambi or the soccer moms so I gotta put in a fence.
Therein lies the Rub
I think I should fence in a rather large area My Tractor is a Kioti DK 47. my gardening implements are a Howard Rotovator and a Dearborn two bottom 14" plow and a Tuffline subsoiler. I don't have a disk I'm thinking the rotovator will do just fine. I plan on building a hiller for a tool bar I bought.

Back to the fence. I am struggling with the idea of a tractor in a fenced-in area. I'm thinking I need to leave a fair bit of mown grass around the actual garden. How do you address the need to be able to turn your rig around and use it in the fenced in garden?

/ Do you use your tractor in a fenced in Garden? #2  
...How do you address the need to be able to turn your rig around and use it in the fenced in garden?
You have a very large machine for a fenced garden. How large of an area are you planning to fence, and how large will your gates be?

My machine fits through a 48" gate, so no issues like yours.

/ Do you use your tractor in a fenced in Garden? #3  
You need wide spaces to turn around, or a removable fence. And it needs to be a high fence. Mine is 5 feet with wires above. No deer inside unless I leave a gate open overnight.

Bruce

/ Do you use your tractor in a fenced in Garden?
How large of an area are you planning to fence, and how large will your gates be?
Large. I have a lot of room to work with. My H braced corners will stick out of the ground 10 feet. I'll use high tensile fencing and electric with wire and streamers from the tall posts to dissuade jumpers.
I can probably leave 10 feet easy. The gate will be as big as I make it.

/ Do you use your tractor in a fenced in Garden?
You need wide spaces to turn around, or a removable fence. And it needs to be a high fence. Mine is 5 feet with wires above. No deer inside unless I leave a gate open overnight.

Bruce
Do you leave space on all four sides?

/ Do you use your tractor in a fenced in Garden? #6  
I am planning on a fairly large garden. Because I live in a psychotic State the Deer are like zombie hoards and you can't do anything to deter them that might offend Bambi or the soccer moms so I gotta put in a fence.
Therein lies the Rub
I think I should fence in a rather large area My Tractor is a Kioti DK 47. my gardening implements are a Howard Rotovator and a Dearborn two bottom 14" plow and a Tuffline subsoiler. I don't have a disk I'm thinking the rotovator will do just fine. I plan on building a hiller for a tool bar I bought.

Back to the fence. I am struggling with the idea of a tractor in a fenced-in area. I'm thinking I need to leave a fair bit of mown grass around the actual garden. How do you address the need to be able to turn your rig around and use it in the fenced in garden?
I have an 8’ deer fence around my 1/4 acre garden. I just left space on either side of the garden for the tractor to turn around. And sometimes if I don’t remove the loader bucket, I don’t turn around; just back up to till the next row.

/ Do you use your tractor in a fenced in Garden? #8  
Whatever ......... My garden plot was 80' wide - 120' deep. I had a Ford 1700 4WD and a small Land Pride disk harrow. No problem with the gate - opening was 12' wide.

It took quite a bit of navigating and turning and backing up. But I broke the virgin ground with this tractor and harrow.

Then I came back in with my Troy Bilt Horse. The Troy Bilt liked to "skip" across the virgin ground. After the ground was broken with the harrow - no problems.

/ Do you use your tractor in a fenced in Garden? #9  

Bruce
Deer can jump a 12' fence no problem at all.