Diesel won't start, anything I should try?

/ Diesel won't start, anything I should try? #1  

Udder

Tractor
JD 4520
Hi there guys,

I have a problem with my 2008 single cylinder lombardini/kohler diesel engine (electric start). It's attached to a Grillo walk-behind tractor which I love. A few days ago it began taking a few seconds more cranking than usual to start. Then the next day it just wouldn't start at all. It cranks over and cranks over, puffing a little white smoke until the battery gets weak but no start.

Lets see, I changed the fuel filter hoping it was just a clogged old filter problem, changed the air filter, tried starting with NO air filter, tried starting with and without the fuel cap on, I know the battery works well, tried starting it with the rope (but then, I've never been able to start it manually), drained the fuel tank and refilled with new fuel...

What else can I try? I'm waiting for by battery to recharge and I will then try to purge out some air or water that might be in the fuel lines. Why won't she start up guys? Maybe some condensation made its way into the injector, but what then? Maybe the starter motor isn't cranking fast enough for some electrical reason, but I don't know how to test that. Should that be tested?

Gosh I just need a few more hours of work out of this thing so I can plant my garlic and then it can rest for a couple of months.

You guys got any ideas?

/ Diesel won't start, anything I should try? #2  
Have you tried using the electronics override on the pump?

Cory

/ Diesel won't start, anything I should try?
Sorry, but I don't even know what that means. I'm just ignorant. I'm going out on a limb here by saying, "I don't think we have one of those". I mean, we barely have any electronics, let alone an electronic pump override. I DID disconnect the battery and try starting by pulling the rope. Does that count? Dang, I revealed my ignorance!

/ Diesel won't start, anything I should try? #4  
Hi! Try this. Charge your battery. after Put throttle 3/4 (near full speed) at injector loose the input fitting nut (Not the return). start about 10 sec if air you can see bubble at the fitting. stop 30 sec start again and look if fuel is coming at the fitting. If fuel and no bubble. Tight the fitting nut Your engine should start and run. Good luck! Oldmech

/ Diesel won't start, anything I should try? #5  
I'd agree with the previous and loosen the injector line to bleed. I don't think you will see bubbles from air, but you will see spurts of fuel when primed. That is assuming there is a seperate pump and not a cam actuated injector like what is found in some small Isuzu engines.

Yes! Success! Spurted a bit fuel out near the injector and after that it started fine, tho a bit smokey for a half hour or so. Thanks for the help! I sure hope it still starts tomorrow. Anyway, at least I managed to get the garlic area 'tilled up before dark.

/ Diesel won't start, anything I should try? #7  
Right next to the run solenoid there is a little lever that us can use to bypass the solenoid. The wires have broke off my solenoid twice and it merely ignores the electronics. You don't have a low oil pressure kill and the switch will not stop the engine with the level flipped.

Cory

/ Diesel won't start, anything I should try? #8  
Hey Udder,

Glad to see you could get the ol' girl runnin' again. Had what you did not worked, I'd have checked the cable on the OPC. The cable stop on mine slipped once so that it would just barely give you hope that it'd run. The OPCs on the diesels are a fuel shut-off.

BTW, I haven't even put forth the effort to mount a battery on my 830 with LD440 diesel engine. In order to start it, you need to pull the cable slowly a half dozen times to prime the fuel system. To do this well, you need to find TDC, which is a pain with the auto decompress on the newer engines. I just pull the cord about half as fast as I do when I start it a half dozen times, then let it all the way back in, and give it all I got. She starts just about every time.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, it could have been the fuel shut-off cable not adjusted right, couldn't it. I'll add that to my list of things to check the next time. I really should learn to pull-start my engine, eh? Thanks again!

/ Diesel won't start, anything I should try? #10  
Have this problem with mine I have a new thread with this video can you tell me if this was your problem.