Diesel storage tank with old fuel, use or not?

/ Diesel storage tank with old fuel, use or not? #1  

seez52

I have a diesel storage tank that belonged to my late father in law. It's a 100 gallons or so and is about half full. He passed away several years ago and before that probably didn't use any of his equipment for some time previous. The fuel in there is probably going on 7-10 years old. It has a hand pump which is frozen. It's pretty well sealed up and I don't see any obvious places for rainwater to get in, but there is always condensation concerns etc. Would this fuel be safe to use if filtered, or should I just reserve it for other non equipment use? I've also heard of bacteria growth in fuel. I guess this can be treated?

/ Diesel storage tank with old fuel, use or not? #2  
If it was mine I'd probably filter it and use it. That's a LOT of fuel to use for just starting fires to burn brush. If it's that new it's probably even the low sulfur kind.

/ Diesel storage tank with old fuel, use or not? #3  
Yeah -- I'd polish it (filter it over & over till you're confident the fuel is separated from water/algae/rust/etc.) & use it. With the hand crank frozen, I might not put it back in the tank until I got a good look at the inside, and I'd probably upgrade to an electric pump, but that's just me. IBC Totes or 55 gal drums can be had for pretty cheap, even if only for temp storage while polishing.

/ Diesel storage tank with old fuel, use or not? #5  
I'd also buy some Bio-kleen and do a shock treatment inside the current tank to kill any bacteria. Then after you filter it and move to a different storage tank (tote is my choice) do another maintenance treatment of the Bio-kleen.

/ Diesel storage tank with old fuel, use or not? #6  
Diesel stores a lot better than gasoline. It is probably OK, I'd run with Wolfie's advice and keep on eye on it to see if you notice a difference.

/ Diesel storage tank with old fuel, use or not? #7  
Not sure what your climate is,, but the warmer its been, the more things will have grown in it. Treat it and mix with good new fuel is what I'd do. Least if is still looks and smells good.

Last edited:
   / Diesel storage tank with old fuel, use or not? #8  
Fresh off road here $3.35 per gallon. If there's only 50 gallons in that tank is it worth $160.00 to filter it and risk damaging a newer piece of equipment? If it were mine I would give the fuel and maybe the tank to a shop that burns waste oil for heat. They can mix it with drain oil and get rid of it for you.

/ Diesel storage tank with old fuel, use or not? #9  
I would guess theres plenty of water in there. If you are running it through a new, very costly fuel injection system I would stay away from using it.
50 gallons of fuel is worth about $200-$250? Is that worth it?
No way in heck I would run that trash through a tractor or anything else for that matter.
I ran some older fuel through my tractor once in an emergency and it was an expensive repair within 6 months.

/ Diesel storage tank with old fuel, use or not? #10  
I use 15 year old fuel all the time. Had 350 Gallons and still ain't run it all yet.