Diesel algae issue ?

/ Diesel algae issue ? #41  
The issue is, the diesel cracked 40 years ago and the diesel cracked today are different fuels. Back 30 0r 40 years ago, I didn't add anything either on my trucks except maybe some Kerosene when it got real cold to prevent jelling but that was it. This new stuff is different and refiners can add a percentage of bio diesel and not even tell you so I do the additive thing to be safe plus I use a lubricity additive to replace the sulfur that has been removed because all my engines are mechanically injected and the need the lubrication that modern diesel is lacking.

Said before, I went down the algae road and one time was enough. I did all the grunt work myself but the parts alone were north of a grand and that was 10 years ago.. I'd hate to think what those parts cost today. Biocide is very cheap insurance in my view.

/ Diesel algae issue ? #42  
After 40 years of it NOT happening, I guess I won't get too worried about it now! lol
How much you wanna bet now that you made that statement, it'll happen. My luck, that's what would happen

/ Diesel algae issue ? #43  
One thing about the slime and that is, once you get it, you'll wish you didn't because it's a bugger to get rid of.

/ Diesel algae issue ? #44  
How much you wanna bet now that you made that statement, it'll happen. My luck, that's what would happen
It won't because I add preventive plus I added the Racor which removes 99% of the suspended crap. I've had no issues for a couple years now. My tractors stay in an unheated barn all the time with no electricity for the block heaters and they fire right up, no issue. Of course I keep all the electrical connections clean and bright and I take the starting batteries out of circuit when not in use too and they get new starting batteries every 5 years as well.

Nothing to do with luck at all. Everything to do with proper maintenance. I depend on them so they get proper maintenance and fuel additive.

I have not changed the primary fuel filter (spin on) in 3 years. No need to. The Racor removes all the junk. Very good investment plus I can easily see what junk there is in the clear bottom bowl and drain it off. I have 6000 trouble free hours on the one and 3000 hours on the other.

/ Diesel algae issue ? #45  
I have not changed the primary fuel filter (spin on) in 3 years. No need to. The Racor removes all the junk. Very good investment plus I can easily see what junk there is in the clear bottom bowl and drain it off. I have 6000 trouble free hours on the one and 3000 hours on the other.
This brings up a question for me. I was going thru my maintenance lists today, getting ready to buy all the filters and fluids I do each year for all of the machines, and Deere spec's "400 hours or yearly" for both the primary and final fuel filters on the 3033r. I only run about 100 hours per year, on that machine.

I can understand replacing oil and filter every year, you don't want those corrosive combustion deposits sitting in the crankcase from one year to the next. But a fuel filter?

The only justification I could think of in my head was the opportunity for biology to grow and eventually clog the filter over time, even if hours are well below that for which the filter is spec'd. Is this the reason for the yearly spec, on changing this filter?

Last edited:
   / Diesel algae issue ? #46  
Not sure on how your primary/secondary are set up, but I could see internal rusting of metal bowls if you aren't diligent about draining any water (and no glass/plastic bowl to see water). Possible failure of filter media if there is rust in the tank/bowls. The critter contamination you mentioned. AND ... opportunity to sell you another filter & once in the dealership, maybe something else.

/ Diesel algae issue ? #47  
I buy my Racor's from the Racor Store and they are powder coated inside so no internal corrosion. The contaminants drop into the clear bowl on the bottom where you can drain them out. Racor has a patent on the design plus I added the heated element. Racor claims 99% efficiency. If you care to look, you'll find that most watercraft (salties and fresh water) have Racor's installed and so do big trucks. I have not changed the primary fuel filter since I added the Racor unit and from what my dealer told me, the new T 4 tractors (Kubota) are coming with some brand of Racor like filters from the factory now.

Far as I'm concerned, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Only thing I 'cheaped' out on was the base. The Conus base was 29 bucks, the Racor base is 50. Same threads, same mount flange, same fittings.

My units sit in an unheated barn and this last cold spell, I went out, put the batteries in circuit, pre heated them for 20 seconds and they popped right off. No issue. No smoke, no nothing