Did a 1969 JD400 backhoe/loader have a dead end block?

/ Did a 1969 JD400 backhoe/loader have a dead end block? #1  

jjarmstrong47

Tractor
JD400 backhoe and David Brown 885
I want to take the backhoe off of my 1969 JD400. According to the manual that I have there should be a dead end block to plug in the main hoses and the plugs from the block are then used to plug the loader sockets.There doesn't seem to be a dead end block on this machine and I'm guessing that it might have been removed when the roll over cage was fitted. Was there one on the 1969? I know they had them by 1972. Should I perhaps just try fitting caps on the hose ends? Any advice would be appreciated.

/ Did a 1969 JD400 backhoe/loader have a dead end block? #2  
JD 400 has closed center hyd system. When removing backhoe just remove & cap pressure & return hyd hoses separately that attach to BH control valve.

I have many yrs of experience with JD closed center hyd systems BUT limited experience with JD industrial models. I've never heard of a "dead end block" for closed center hyd's before now but I think you're referring to a AU40722(item 5).

Last edited:
   / Did a 1969 JD400 backhoe/loader have a dead end block?
Thanks, Jim. That's what I thought would be the way to go. The manual you sent me is for a 72 model and it shows a block with two plugs that you remove and plug into the loader and plug the hoses into the block. The only advantage I can see is that you have plugs to use on the loader but they are probably available from my local hydraulic dealer. Number 5 does look like what is shown in the manual.

/ Did a 1969 JD400 backhoe/loader have a dead end block? #4  
You're welcome & good luck with your BH deleting.