Dewalt Grease Gun - How to know tube is empty?

/ Dewalt Grease Gun - How to know tube is empty? #41  
SURPRISE SURPRISE I found an air operated
grease gun, I forgot that I purchased it to
grease my new Dodge pickup back in the 80's
I can only use it at the shop being its air
operated

willy
I have a couple of them but my air grease hose is 150 feet long so reach is a non issue and they all have clear polycarbonate barrels on them. Easy to see the amount of grease left inside and they all have bulk load fittings on the top.

/ Dewalt Grease Gun - How to know tube is empty? #42  
So my Dewalt grease gun ran out today. When it’s working correctly it makes a distinct clicking sound every 2 seconds or so. It stopped doing that when empty.
Mine is an 18 volt and I got the 20 volt adapter and a couple of batteries. It works fine with my grease gun and drill.

/ Dewalt Grease Gun - How to know tube is empty? #43  
The HF 20 volt cordless gun is a lot less and is a dead ringer for the DeWalt. Probably made in the same shop too, in China of course.

/ Dewalt Grease Gun - How to know tube is empty? #44  
The HF 20 volt cordless gun is a lot less and is a dead ringer for the DeWalt. Probably made in the same shop too, in China of course.
Not even close on any of your claims. DeWalt is made in Mexico. Only ~$30 more than HF. Longer hose, better battery, better warrantee, better everything.

/ Dewalt Grease Gun - How to know tube is empty? #45  
Not even close on any of your claims. DeWalt is made in Mexico. Only ~$30 more than HF. Longer hose, better battery, better warrantee, better everything.
Really? Could have fooled me. I prefer not to buy Hencho Mexico if I can avoid it. Far as warranty, the HF is better, you can return it anytime to any HF outlet and not have to deal with some box store. Just returned mine (bad motor). No questions asked, just a replacement. Far as DeWalt batteries go, I'll take the Bauer battery over the prone to fail DeWalt packs anyday and the Bauer packs are about half the cost. I always replace the whip hose and the coupler anyway. I use a McNaught coupler and a longer whip hose.

next... 30 bucks is still 30 bucks last time I checked.

Ever bother to price a rebuilt DeWalt pack? Bet you haven't. Not that I use it a bunch because I don't. I use my bulk air greaser. It has a 100 foot grease hose with a 150 pound open head drum. I still prefer my Plews lever gun in the field and all my powered implements have a lever gun in the toolbox (and they all have clear polycarbonate barrels as well and get bulk loaded. I despise grease tubes in general.

/ Dewalt Grease Gun - How to know tube is empty? #46  
You can hear a difference in the sound it makes. It makes more of a slapping sound when it’s empty.
That don't mean it's empty, could be an air pocket in the tube of grease.

/ Dewalt Grease Gun - How to know tube is empty? #47  
I'm relatively new to using a Dewalt cordless grease gun. Yesterday I was greasing my JD tractor & front end loader, and after finishing with the FEL fittings I realized that even though I'd run 8+ pulses on each fitting, I hadn't actually seen grease oozing out of many (most) of them as is typical. I pumped the grease gun into the air, and sure enough no grease came out. I put in a fresh tube, and finished greasing the tractor. I found myself air pumping every few fittings just to be sure, but that creates a messy paper towel in one hand.

Thinking back, with a manual grease gun, when the tube is empty, I clearly feel no trigger resistance. With the Dewalt grease gun that is not possible.

Is the only way of knowing that a Dewalt grease gun's tube is empty is a lack of grease ooze and doing air pumping? Any advice is appreciated!!
Always wear leather gloves when using electric grease guns. If it gets a minute pinhole in the hose, and that pinhole spew of grease sprays into your skin, BAD. Grease guns can do 3500 lbs of pressure. I tighten tracks on big dozers with grease guns. I've seen men stay in the hospital for two months while they tried to save their arm. Just because grease got sprayed through his skin on a finger. I've known four people and I know it's bad. I can't stress enough to be careful.

/ Dewalt Grease Gun - How to know tube is empty? #48  
same applies to airless paint sprayers as well as hydraulic hoses and pipes on tractors. Have a buddy who had to have his lower arm amputated from a close encounter with an airless sprayer

/ Dewalt Grease Gun - How to know tube is empty? #49  
I prefer not to buy Hencho Mexico if I can avoid it.
It's Hecho En Mexico by the way. I don't either but helps keep some of them in Mexico. :cautious: