Deere 953 and 963 running gear wheels

/ Deere 953 and 963 running gear wheels #1  

jives

Tractor
Wheel Horse 416-8
Hi Folks:
I posted this in the general Ag Equipment and Machinery forum, but I may get more info here. I'm looking for two wheels for my Deere 963 (or 953) running gear. 1950s vintage. Typical, "modern" wheels do not fit as the hub face is too wide. I currently have two original 16 x 5.5 wheels, 6 bolt, 4 5/8" center hole, model # JD 639. The hub is model #S 3289 DW (or #A 5289 for the full assembly with bearings).

Wheel model numbers JD 1232 (16 x 4) and JD 1085 (15 x 5-K) will fit. I've also heard of spacers that may make regular wheels fit, but I don't know those specs.

I've tried several tractor salvage yards with either no response or they don't have. I've got a call in to the closest Deere dealer and they have yet to get back to me.

Anyone have advice for a next step?
Thanks.

/ Deere 953 and 963 running gear wheels
Most modern wheels are a 4 5/8" bore, are they not? Random site that lists a bunch of them: Six Lug Implement Wheels

Aaron Z

Thanks, Aaron, but it is not the bore size that is the problem. The Deere hub face is 8" in diameter, but the typical concave mounting face on the wheel only as a flat area that is about 7.5 or 7.75". I can turn the wheel around to mount the hub against the convex side of the rim, but there is still a bit of a fitment problem.

/ Deere 953 and 963 running gear wheels #4  
You need a standard AG six hole reversible rim installed with the dish out. Been there, done that when I put 9.5Lx15 implement tires on a 963 in the late 1980s. Not a big deal, not hard to find.

/ Deere 953 and 963 running gear wheels
Thanks, Rick. I think that is my route. I need to get this baby working to get a water tank on it!

/ Deere 953 and 963 running gear wheels #6  
Thanks, Rick. I think that is my route. I need to get this baby working to get a water tank on it!
Hi Jives,

I know this post has some age to it, but did you ever get your rims figured out?

Did you end up putting four new matching rims on? If you did, do you still have the pair of original JD639’s?

My son is refurbing a 953 gear for 4-h and we are looking for a pair as we have a pair and a couple other mismatched rims.

Appreciate any help!!