Deere 3020/500A trans sump screen location

/ Deere 3020/500A trans sump screen location #11  
Where is the front hydraulic pump on a 3020 jd and what does it look like.

/ Deere 3020/500A trans sump screen location #12  
dvaidm
Look ahead of the engine.. and the pump should be within the framework there. You can also see what it looks like by going to jdparts.com (free registration) and put in model 3020 to find all the tractor parts and part numbers, with schematics and drawings of the parts. Give it a shot.. as you will like it.

/ Deere 3020/500A trans sump screen location #13  
You seem knowledgeable, I have a JD 510 backhoe and need to remove the sump screen. Is there an extract bolt on the other side. That side has a cap with several bolts holding it on and a 1 inch metal pipe coming out of it at a 90% angle going up.

/ Deere 3020/500A trans sump screen location #14  
jdmeth
Welcome to TBN
Screen location is marked on photo.

Attachments

• mvphoto798.jpg
    mvphoto798.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 218
   / Deere 3020/500A trans sump screen location #15  
Thanks for the reply but I have the plug out, I can't get the screen out. This is a 1981 model and the screen has never been out. What is the best way to extract it?

/ Deere 3020/500A trans sump screen location #16  
If screen is difficult to remove try grasping it with needle nose pliers then twisting from side to side.

/ Deere 3020/500A trans sump screen location #17  
OK, now that is out I can say the best way to get one out. The screen is smooth so there is no where to grab with pliers. Mine was completely plugged with slime and paint particles by the way. The one in my 1981 510 backhoe is plastic. It has a half inch of black plastic tube at each end and a grid of thin black plastic with white plastic screen. It will go in both ways only fits one way. The end with a grove goes inside first. To get it out take an O ring puller or dental pick and dig it into the side of the tube and pull it out. Mine wasn't stuck and it had never been out. However that is not what I did. I thought I might be able to push it out from the other side and removed the return tube that was bolted there. The screen is about six inches shorter then the width of the transmission base so that didn't help. Just to see what I could do I started running a long slender punch into the hole at an angle hoping it would catch on something. After several pushes the screen did start out the other side.

Using the pick would have saved me some extra work.

/ Deere 3020/500A trans sump screen location #18  
Thanks for update. I'm glad you found screen location & determined how to remove it.

/ Deere 3020/500A trans sump screen location #19  
Hey guys. Sorry to revive an old thread. I just picked up a JD 510 backhoe/loader and am having a hard time locating where the sump screen is. Is it on the side where both filters are (left side) or the side where the mid mount filter is (right side). Would someone be able to send a photo? I am not certain that I can locate that area on mine in the photo above, curious why that one is green and not yellow? Thanks!