Currently In Decision Phase - Tons Of Info To Be Had - Hopefully This Helps Some

/ Currently In Decision Phase - Tons Of Info To Be Had - Hopefully This Helps Some #1  

Ninja Rooster

Tractor
2022 Kioti NS5310
First off; appreciate all of the info I was able to get from the threads here. It can be an overwhelming experience for someone about to buy their first tractor. Is it procrastination when you put off a purchase because you want to get all possible information to make a good decision? Someone would probably say so. For those of you in the same boat as I am; take solace in the fact that there are many like us.

Maybe what I post here can help you out. I am putting this in the Kioti sub as it is currently the front runner in my search for a tractor.

I have been a field service technician for industrial and construction equipment for almost 20 years, thankfully. That sure does help a little in situations like these. I have been on basically every forum that comes up in Google results. I have watched hundreds of tractor owner "reviews" on YouTube. The people I know who have their own machines of various brands, are all relatively satisfied. I will be testing some theirs when I get a free weekend. I have spent the last few weekends tending to a friends farm on their Kubota L2900. Nice tractor; little small for what I will eventually need.

What makes this process so aggravating; I believe, is that people routinely prop up a brand or manufacturer because they refuse to think that they could have made a mistake with their choice. Every time I read a review, I try to remember that. I listen to the complaints carefully. Operator error is a legit thing. As are manufacturer defects. Naturally; if I am in the market and I hear someone complain that their tractor breaking down, I am curious. But; I have found a lot of complaints about a particular manufacturer are unwarranted. You probably have heard a few of them. Maybe you didn't catch them.

When you hear someone say "Kioti is a waste of money. My radiator fluid (oh my.....) was gone and I couldn't use the tractor."; be suspicious. As an owner/operator of a machine, there is more responsibility on you other than simply using it. It's a tool. The tool is only as good as it's user. Owners manuals are provided at sale because it contains very important information; the do's/don'ts and in's/out's of your machine. Read it. Keep it near. To give you a quick idea; error codes. Not every manufacture includes them in their manuals but most do. A man was complaining about a "trash machine" because he had a code. It would not start. A simple opening of his manual or even a Google search would have told him it was a loss of signal at a temperature sensor. The manual (or Google) also gave specific troubleshooting steps easily conducted at home by even the most amateur of home owners.

You would be surprised just how many mechanical failures of a machine are a byproduct of the operator. So; as potential owners of these machines, we need to be leery of anything overly negative or positive. Anything that relies on multiple systems to operate runs of risk of failures and breakdowns. Manufactures procure parts for their machines from other suppliers. Their quality control measures vary and are only so good at detecting material defects in their parts. It's not a fail safe. Lemons do exist but they are actually quite rare.

The decision to add a $20-60,000 tool to your homestead is a big one. So; kudos if you are not taking it lightly. Aside form the information above; may I also offer these as advice for the situation some of us are in?

One: Over planning for the usage of the tractor can limit your field of prospects. Trust me. It just does. It can put you in one of two spots. The first is restricts your real field of prospects. You could miss out on the perfect one. Or two; gives you too many options and you over do it.

Two: Budget. Set it. You know what you have on hand or are willing to finance for this purchase. Everyone's situation is unique. 100 acres or 3; a balance of need and budget will save you tons of headaches going forward.

Three: Know the limits of the machine you are considering. Your needs will most likely change over the course of your ownership. Some of them you couldn't possibly take into consideration now.

Four: Package "deals" may not be deals at all.

Five: Taking 2 and 3 into consideration, buy the most machine you can at your budget. Even if it means going beyond your current need.

With all of that said; I wish good luck to all who are in their search. I thank those willing to give their opinions of the machines they own. Hopefully I can end my search in the near future.

Last edited:
   / Currently In Decision Phase - Tons Of Info To Be Had - Hopefully This Helps Some #2  
Wow! Great post.

/ Currently In Decision Phase - Tons Of Info To Be Had - Hopefully This Helps Some #3  
That is a lot of self awareness for a new tractor buyer.

/ Currently In Decision Phase - Tons Of Info To Be Had - Hopefully This Helps Some #5  
One other thing I would add is to invest the time (searching and learning).

If buying new, spend time on dealer lots, looking carefully at features, checking out ergonomics, differences between models and brands and operating if possible. You will learn something new each time.

If buying used, set up your search strategy - custom TractorHouse searches, Craigslist Farm & Garden - multiple areas, online auctions, etc. Check them regularly. you will start to get a feel for availability, prices, etc. Go check some out in person. After a period of that, you will see some CUTs that you think are pretty good deals, and that will be confirmed because they will be gone in 2 or 3 days. After missing out on 2 or 3 of these pretty good deals, you are now ready to buy. You have an eye for a good tractor, nose for a good price, and the confidence to buy when opportunity presents itself.

It could take a while. The last one I bought was the result of a year long search, but it was a good tractor for a super price.

/ Currently In Decision Phase - Tons Of Info To Be Had - Hopefully This Helps Some
Wow! Great post.

Thank you; I deliberated a bit before I posted but figured it could help ease the mind of some still searching.

That is a lot of self awareness for a new tractor buyer.

Live and learn, I suppose. Mistakes are to be made not repeated. I've been there done that on that humbling "bad purchase".

Dealers should make this post mandatory reading for first tractor buyers.

I have found two kinds of dealers for basically anything I have purchased at a dealership. The first is the one who is intimidated by what a potential buyer is presenting to them and the second welcomes the inquisitive and organized buyer.

One other thing I would add is to invest the time (searching and learning).

If buying new, spend time on dealer lots, looking carefully at features, checking out ergonomics, differences between models and brands and operating if possible. You will learn something new each time.

If buying used, set up your search strategy - custom TractorHouse searches, Craigslist Farm & Garden - multiple areas, online auctions, etc. Check them regularly. you will start to get a feel for availability, prices, etc. Go check some out in person. After a period of that, you will see some CUTs that you think are pretty good deals, and that will be confirmed because they will be gone in 2 or 3 days. After missing out on 2 or 3 of these pretty good deals, you are now ready to buy. You have an eye for a good tractor, nose for a good price, and the confidence to buy when opportunity presents itself.

It could take a while. The last one I bought was the result of a year long search, but it was a good tractor for a super price.

Absolutely. Taking the time and getting acquainted with all the options saves headaches in the future. I've lost count of the number of "man; that would be nice to have on a tractor" tunrs into "Actually, that's not a good option for me" simply by spending that extra time looking into it.

Thanks again, ya'll

For an update on where I am with my search; I am working with the Kioti DK and NX series @ 30+ PTO. No cab for me. I will not be in the "great wide open" all the time with the tractor. The only reason I would consider it would be to prevent being stung should I run into ground bees (yellow jackets).

My wife has horses but they are boarded off property due to how close we are to a busy highway. Not interstate but with the way people drive it ought to be. We already have a small 4 acre homestead and I have raised beds for my garden and some fruit trees etc. I collect rain water and suppose some would consider me a "prepper". Although I simply consider myself prepared. I don't have a shelter or some underground bus that takes me to this massive underground base to protect against zombies. I just have things in place to provide should we lose power for extended days etc. for us and the animals we care for. People die in situations like that if they can't find a way to get by. I suppose the military helped instill a good portion of that preparedness. #grumpyoldvet (I'm 40; not sure I can use the term old yet)

We are currently searching for 30+ acres. We are not getting any younger and realize that if our dream is to run a kind of hobby farm; we need to get the ball rolling. Anyway; just a little about myself. Take care.

/ Currently In Decision Phase - Tons Of Info To Be Had - Hopefully This Helps Some
This is frustrating. Both DK and NX series are nice units. I just cant figure out if all the razzle dazzle push button upgrades are worth it in the long run. It's not so much the switches as it is electronic operation or linkage/mechanical. Ugh. Flip a coin at this point I suppose haha

3F183T or 3H-TH4C?

that the two engine choices I have. Can’t find much on either one. Frustrating.

/ Currently In Decision Phase - Tons Of Info To Be Had - Hopefully This Helps Some #9  
Ninja, here is a link to a youtube video with info on the DK, NX and the new NS series. I think you may find of use.

Ninja, here is a link to a youtube video with info on the DK, NX and the new NS series. I think you may find of use.

Thank you for that!