Current pricing L2501 and transmission choice

/ Current pricing L2501 and transmission choice
The L2501 I purchased was the only one in stock at my dealer. It came with the optional 3 pt hitch upgrade and cruise control.

The hitch upgrade has been convenient to use.

I haven't used the cruise control or the PTO because I have other tractors I use for clipping the pasture. I'd have to read the owner's manual to understand how the cruise control works.

I haven't used this tractor a whole lot, but for the 12-13 hours I have run it so far, I could see where the treadle pedal would become tiring to use after a while.

I'm basically only using the brakes as parking brakes. The odd (to me) placement of the brakes relative to the treadle hasn't been that noticeable in real use.

Getting on and off the tractor without something to grab other than the seat back has been something awkward for me until I added the grab bar and added a stronger support for the HF ammo box I used to hold my logging chain.

I don't like all the work I felt was necessary in my personal opinion to protect the filters under the tractor, the front grill and the taillights. I've spent more time on these modifications than actually using the tractor so far.

/ Current pricing L2501 and transmission choice #92  
rScotty - that's cause I screwed it up!

It is described on the Kubota spec sheet as "Transmission drive with over-running clutch". I misread that with the next column for the HST that said "Live-continuous running". My crazy brain mixed the two.

It is sounding like they are completely different types of PTOs. And crazy brain or not.... I'm not sure that the spec sheet describes either one well. I can't figure it out either. But regardless, knowing how the PTO works is something a buyer needs to think about. Especially for mowing.

Recently completed 50 hour service at 49.9 hours.

Although I've been careful, I noticed some paint has already been knocked off the protective guard I built for the hydraulic filter indicating to me that it was worthwhile to fabricate the guard.

Some things I don't like: 1) the engine oil fill is located behind a plastic trim panel that has to be removed to refill the engine oil. Kubota could have at least included an opening in the plastic panel to remove the oil fill cap without having to remove the trim panel. 2). the oil fill diameter was too small for my regular funnels and a bit awkward to fill with anything but 1 quart containers; 3) having to deal with two engine oil drain plugs because of the twin sump although I can see how the twin sump is needed for the 4wd drive shaft; 4) needing to transfer two o rings from the old fuel filter to the new one. Why don't they include new o rings with the new fuel filter? 5). none of the filter canisters fit the multi fit filter cap tool I've used for years on my other cars and tractors so I ended up using a serpentine belt as a strap to loosen them.

The magnet on the hydraulic filter caught a surprising amount of metal particles. Wish I'd made a picture, but by the point I got to this stage, I didn't want to take a chance on getting oil on my camera.

Z50_5017A.JPGZ50_5012.JPGZ50_5013.JPGZ50_5020.JPG

/ Current pricing L2501 and transmission choice #94  
HST all the way. My old tractor is gear driven and mostly sets now. No issues with HST in a Kubota.

Now hovering around 145 hours with no issues other than I keep forgetting to release the parking brake so I installed a switch and combination warning light/buzzer.

/ Current pricing L2501 and transmission choice #96  
I was quoted $21,300 for the gear drive L2501 4wd with loader by my local middle Tennessee Kubota dealer. But he didn't have a gear drive in stock and said he'd have to trade with another dealer to get one. He also said the gear drive isn't a popular model and that's why they don't have one in stock. The loader does have the quick hitch on it.

My concern is that the pricing might be a bit high if the dealer is padding his price to be sure he can get a gear drive unit since he doesn't have one in stock.

I was leaning towards the gear drive model mainly because clutches are simple to fix and there's less power loss when it comes to mowing.

The dealer has HST models in stock for the extra difference in list price which I think he said about another $1,600?

I plan to keep my larger 35hp tractor for bush hogging. Was looking at the L2501 as something that would burn less fuel for lighter work, would be easier to add a third function and a grapple for cleaning up some limbs from time to time. My existing tractors are 2 wheel drive.

For loader work, I can see the usefulness of the HST. The dealer said they have customers with 5,000 hours on the HSTs with no issues? Am I making too much of the HST reliability issue?

We have some hills so tractor stability is important.

On the other hand, there is a used JD 3025e for sale with a grapple already on it-67 hours for $22,000. Not crazy about the grapple because it has the longer lower tines on it rather than a root rake type design. My problem with picking up brush and fallen limbs with plain forks has always been getting under the material. I think it would be easier to grab with a root rake type design...but wonder what experience others have had?
In my experience, HST is excellent for light work like mowing and blowing, but for heavy work like pushing out stumps, hauling heavy loads, landscaping- the manual transmission will give you 25% more power at the wheels.

/ Current pricing L2501 and transmission choice #98  
In my experience, HST is excellent for light work like mowing and blowing, but for heavy work like pushing out stumps, hauling heavy loads, landscaping- the manual transmission will give you 25% more power at the wheels.
Did you just make up that number?

/ Current pricing L2501 and transmission choice #99  
Power to the wheels has never been an issue for me. My L2501 spins the tires even when in 4wd and diff locked and loaded with plenty of ballast. Rim pull is not a problem.

PTO power is noticeably lacking. I've compare the L2501 HST to my old JD 770 (gear drive), which are rated closely in power (24.5 & 24 crank HP, 19 & 21 pto HP respectively). When pulling a 5ft rotary cutter, the JD's extra 2HP feels like much more. I was never able to bog that machine.

I still have my Yanmar 226d 22 hp /19.42 PTO) with powershift transmission which continues to be my choice for running my 5' rotary cutter. 6' is too much and feels very unbalanced on the Yanmar.

I won't be pushing out stumps with either one.