Cub Cadet SZ60 Oil filter loosens itself

/ Cub Cadet SZ60 Oil filter loosens itself #1  

Franko

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800/RTV900
Happened twice. Check oil level, down a little, look at deck and see there is some oil there from leaky filter. Filter becomes so loose I can turn it by hand. I use Kohler OEM filters, too.
First time was right before last oil change, last year. Now, a year later same thing. I have been changing oil on cars, mowers, etc for many years and never saw this. Might be extra vibration that mowers have, but it is making a mess. I guess I will crank that filter on even more next time, but it seems strange. Anyone else see this?

Frank

/ Cub Cadet SZ60 Oil filter loosens itself #2  
I have seen filters and have changed filters on mowers in the shop that I have cranked the filters down as tight as I could by hand, and have them come in the following spring for service and you can remove the filter with two fingers, and will be leaking. Have seen it happen on Briggs, Kohler and Kawasaki over the last few years. Briggs actually has a torque spec of 100 in/lb for their filters because they were having issues with filters coming loose. Even new engines from the factory prior to coming out with the torque spec.

Seems like I saw a torque spec for the kawasaki filters of 12 lb/ft. Just did some checking, and the Kohler filter is to be tightened 3/4-1 full turn after gasket contact which is a change from the previous recommended 90-110 in/lb torque spec.

Last edited:
   / Cub Cadet SZ60 Oil filter loosens itself #3  
Since it is repetitive, put a paint mark reference on the filter / block. That way you can keep an eye on it and also possibly see if rather than loosening that the seal is becoming brittle / shrinking from the heat.

/ Cub Cadet SZ60 Oil filter loosens itself #5  
Since it is repetitive, put a paint mark reference on the filter / block. That way you can keep an eye on it and also possibly see if rather than loosening that the seal is becoming brittle / shrinking from the heat.

Isn't there a kit for a remote oil filter that alleviates this issue?

Something like this:
Cub Cadet 1862 S/N 821,060 - 836,000 142-683-100 Oil Filter | Shank's Lawn Cub Cadet
The issue is actually an assembly issue at the filter factory. They use oil on the O ring to assist in assembly. Some of that oil gets trapped behind the O ring, and then when tightened on the engine you think it is tight, but over time and heat cycles that oil comes out and the filter is now loose.

Kohlers have been the worse for me as far as appearing loose and leaking, followed by Kawasaki filters.

/ Cub Cadet SZ60 Oil filter loosens itself #6  
Had the same thing happen on a Craftsman z-turn that I changed oil on. The guy came back a few weeks later complaining that the oil filter was leaking. Now on this machine, you can't really get a good grip on the filter, so when he came back, I had to improvise. Guess it worked, didn't come back complaining.

/ Cub Cadet SZ60 Oil filter loosens itself #7  
Had the same thing happen on a Craftsman z-turn that I changed oil on. The guy came back a few weeks later complaining that the oil filter was leaking. Now on this machine, you can't really get a good grip on the filter, so when he came back, I had to improvise. Guess it worked, didn't come back complaining.
No Kidding. Some of those ZTRs are a real pain!

/ Cub Cadet SZ60 Oil filter loosens itself
This is like a support group for my issues, and it is great to know I am not alone am not totally nuts. At least, about this anyway. So I will keep an eye on it knowing it is not totally rare. Thanks for help and support.