Cub Cadet 417 new owner issues

/ Cub Cadet 417 new owner issues #1  

kirkdc

Tractor
Cub cadet 417 FEL
New owner of a 417 (7274) with loader and PTO set-up. 3 cylinder diesel with loader and PTO

I'm unsure where to check/add hydraulic fluid and the specific type of fluid.

The only tag numbers I found where : 7274 21061 and 546 436D 100 These were off a metal tag attached to the right lower side of the engine block. I called the CC office and they said those are not the numbers and they should be another tag with a total of 11 numbers/letters.

I looked all over, seat, under seat, frame, nada. They told me the model/serial tags are under the seat. Nope. It ain't. It looks like the original seat too and not a replacement. Supposedly the serial number should be 11 numbers/letters. I see nothing with 11.

I went to the Cub Cadet website but can't access a service manual without serial numbers. A massive google search left me high and dry on the recommended fluid type, where to add it and the service manual.

Last edited:
   / Cub Cadet 417 new owner issues #2  
7274: the 'easy' sales model number of the tractor and what most people will refer to it as.
546-436D100 - the manufacturer's model number. Sometimes needed to find parts (and the owner's manual)
21061: your serial number
417: the sales model number of your loader. CC attachments have 3-digit sales model numbers. Mfg model number: 590-417-100

Here's the fun part. Your tractor was made by Mitsubishi for MTD/Cub Cadet (CC) with a Mitsubishi engine. CC doesn't think it handles CUTs (Compact Utility Tractors) any more so you do business mainly through MTD, at least on the web, although your CC dealer may be your best source for OEM parts, especially if you show up with part numbers.

The Owner's Manual has the routine service stuff in it - fluids, filters, grease points. Find it at Operator's Manuals, use 546-436D100 to search. Owners Manual is free. There's also a parts manual titled "COMPACT TRACT BINDER" which is handy. partstree.com and others have the parts manual online.
The fill/check plug is on top of the transmission case between your feet.

There is a Service Manual, which covers teardown/rebuild of pretty much all the mechanicals. Search for "cub cadet 7274 service manual" and you'll find a couple of sites that will let you look at it or download it.

Hydraulic Fluid Options for 7000-series tractors...

No, you don't need to pay $9./qt for hydraulic oil, CC 737-3025. The MTD/CC part number for a 5 gallon pail is 737-3035, $131.76 from Cub Cadet (but still $6.55/qt). The Owners Manual also lists PNs for 1 gallon and 2.5 gallon containers.

As this tractor has wet brakes you don't want the cheapest hydraulic fluid which would be fine for a log splitter, say.
I use Tractor Supply's Traveler brand Premium Universal Trans/Hydraulic Fluid, about $60/5 gallons. Also availablle in 2- or 2-1/2 gallon jugs. Plenty of other brands are just fine.

You should be able to find filters - mine are usually WIX - that are cheaper than MTD/CC's.

/ Cub Cadet 417 new owner issues
You, sir, are a Godsend. LOL

I've been humping around for 3-4 days trying to get this info. And Cub Cadet was no help at all. Nor were a couple of other tractor forums.

I did see the big screw cap/dipstick on the trans case but wanted to be sure that was were my hydraulic oil should go. I wasn't sure it that was just for trans fluid only.

From my numbers, can I find out what year this tractor was built? I'm guessing 70-80s?

Last edited:
   / Cub Cadet 417 new owner issues #4  
My 7274 was purchased new by me in 1995 it was a great machine and I sold it in 2016 and it is still in use
The trans dipstick is where the poster said and be sure to check the level in the front drive axle as well...I just used a screw driver
I threw service manuals out for the tractor because no one wanted them even the gent who bought it

/ Cub Cadet 417 new owner issues #5  
Actually, there's only one oil for both hydraulic and transmission, one fill port, one filter (2 on HST models) and I think 2 drains. As mentioned, the front axle has its own oil; you can use your hydro oil or 85-140 gear lube in it.

According to tractordata.com, 7274s were built from '96-'97.

Awesome, 95-97 - newer than I thought.

Thanks on the advice about front axle oil check.

I have two issues:

I have a single lever control valve like the one in the above link. I can't find a rebuild kit for it (if it's even rebuildable) Most likely I will buy this one off fleabay. My current one leaks out the spool valves and at one end where the release spring cover is. The cover housing is also worn through and leaking fluid (where the spring is)

My other issue is the hose connections. I bought it and the loader didn't function properly. I believe the hoses are not hooked up correctly. I looked for a service manual online but had no luck getting a free download version. My valve has 7 port openings. It runs the loader and 3 pt hitch. In total I have 9 hoses coming off it and need to find the proper hook-up in regards to where the hoses attach to the valve.. I can post a picture if that helps. Does anyone have help for this set-up 0r have a hydraulic set-up like mine?

1996-97 Cub Cadet 417 7274
546-436D100 - model number. 1061: serial number 210-61

Last edited:
   / Cub Cadet 417 new owner issues #9  
Sorry, was 4,000 miles from my tractor (and manuals) till yesterday...

Here's the full 416/417 loader and parts list manual.

The 417 control valve described herein should have 2 hoses running to the bucket tilt cylinders, 2 hoses running to the bucket lift (boom) cylinders.
and 3 hoses back to the hydraulic block on the right side just foward of your feet. There's a pressure relief valve Tee-ed off the boom hoses right at the valve block so you don't try to lift too much. (416s have an integrated relief valve which has been problematic for many owners, who end up replacing the whole valve assembly with good one).

The configuration of the hydro block results in the P (pressure) port going first to the loader when the 'switch' on the block is set to 'S' (you set this to the other position - O - if you don't have any auxiliary hydro stuff connected; if the loader is disconnected you can either throw the switch or hook the P hose to the N hose with the quick-connects). If you're not moving the loader, the high-pressure fluid is routed back to the N (for power beyoNd) port. The T port is Tank, for fluid back into the tank at low pressure. The N port then feeds the 3pt lift control(s) mounted on the right fender.

Attachments

• CubCadet 416-417 Loader manual.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 110

Attachments

• ccccc.jpg
    ccccc.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 109