CUB AGS 2160 stalling

/ CUB AGS 2160 stalling #1  

Anonymous Poster

I've got a Cub 2160 that idles fine when the throttle lever is in the slow position but it stalls out as soon as I raise the lever. If I pull the choke lever out half way and raise the throttle lever all the way up to the fast position it will run at a fast idle but not real smooth. This happened right after going over some rough terrain while mowing. Had the same symptoms a year ago but they went away after starting & shutting off the tractor a few times. It didn't work this time, neither did a clean air filter and new fuel filter. Anyone suggestions?

/ CUB AGS 2160 stalling
Maybe your float is stuck. Use the handle of a screwdriver to whack the carb and see if that unsticks it. Don't go crazy here, some carbs are made of pot metal.

good luck.

/ CUB AGS 2160 stalling #3  
Sounds like the perfect time to do a carb overhaul./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

A carb kit is pretty cheap,Take the carb apart soak in carb cleaner for a couple hours then rinse under hot water and blow out with compressed air.Use a small metal tag wire to clean all the little holes and such.Put a small amout of oil on the new seat before you put it back in.Before you put the bowl back on, flip the carb upside down and check the float level,You should be able to just fit a #4 drill bit between the body and the non-hinge end of the float.Anyways it sounds like it could be the float level or a drity main jet.Tell use how you make out.

Have a good one

/ CUB AGS 2160 stalling
Thanks for the tips! I tried tapping on the carb with a screwdriver handle. That didn't change anything. However, I removed the four screws and popped off the top of the carb. Down below the floats in the bottom of the bowl was a bunch of rusty scaly bits. I sponged out the gas, cleaned out the crud and used compressed air to blow out the various ports. After putting everything back together it fired up and ran like a champ! I suspect that when I hit the rough terrain, while mowing, the rusty bits would float up and get sucked into the ports, clogging things up. It sounds like a carb kit is in order! However I'll probably wait until the off-season as long as it keeps running smooth!

Thanks again!

/ CUB AGS 2160 stalling #5  
Thats good to hear./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Happy mowing