Crop Dusting share your picture and stories.

/ Crop Dusting share your picture and stories. #1  

K5lwq

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti LK2554, Branson 4815C, Satoh Beaver, Speedex
I thought it would be fun to discuss crop dusting and Ag aviation. I can think of no better way to start the conversation than with Johnny Dorr.

Johnny started the first Ag Aviation school at Dorr Field in Merigold Mississippi. I had the pleasure of knowing Dot Dorr, Johnny’s wife, and spent some time at Dorr Field. My family is from the Mississippi Delta and Dad flew with Johnny often. Dad taught himself how to fly at the age of 16 and crop dusted for 2 years before he took his first lesson. Dot told me stories about Dad as well.

Johnny also did aerobatics and Dot would wing walk on his Stearman. I will have to find pictures to share but to begin with here is a short video about Johnny and Dorr Field. Dot talks in the video. Enjoy!

/ Crop Dusting share your picture and stories. #2  
   / Crop Dusting share your picture and stories. #3  
Back when the farmer to the north of me was active (his family turned it into a turf farm) he had a pilot spraying his cotton. I was out in the barn working on something and had both south side doors open. There were massive amounts of Mud Dobers flying in and out of the barn. After a couple of flyovers, I saw quite a few of the Daubers roller coasting as they flew in then dropped to the ground. At that moment, I decided to go back in the house and take a break. o_O

The plane was flying about 25 feet over my barn. I could see the rivets in the fuselage. My barn is about 30 feet from the fence.

/ Crop Dusting share your picture and stories.
Back when the farmer to the north of me was active (his family turned it into a turf farm) he had a pilot spraying his cotton. I was out in the barn working on something and had both south side doors open. There were massive amounts of Mud Dobers flying in and out of the barn. After a couple of flyovers, I saw quite a few of the Daubers roller coasting as they flew in then dropped to the ground. At that moment, I decided to go back in the house and take a break. o_O

The plane was flying about 25 feet over my barn. I could see the rivets in the fuselage. My barn is about 30 feet from the fence.
I use to get sprayed all the time from Dad. We would be in the field with what we called a flag. Our job was to give him a target to fly towards to make sure he got the coverage needed. The flag was what we would get under as he went overhead.

/ Crop Dusting share your picture and stories. #5  
I vaguely know a pilot that does both fixed wing and rotary wing crop dusting. Last year it was big around here, mostly on corn. It’s fun to watch. On a bicycle ride last year I stopped and watched for a while plus I didn’t want to ride through the spray. A couple of zoomed in cell phone pictures.

0895C2CA-EB10-400D-9EDA-E8E7B126D90E.jpeg
D836133C-53E0-415A-B1B6-86782F4B27F9.jpeg