Cost to connect to the grid?

/ Cost to connect to the grid? #1  

rogerius

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940HST
We are off-grid with our property here in Ontario-Canada for few years already and it has been a really challenge every winter. Solar is not a viable solution for Ontario and I hate when people trying to sale something which they really didn't try it just looking at the profit for them. Because now is the time for us to replace the batteries in our system, we decided to investigate the cost of connecting to the grid. Unfortunately, the last grid pole on the road is at 1000ft from our gate and our house is at another 1000ft from the gate, so 2000ft in total.
Checking with our electrical distributor (Hydro One) they suggested an alternative to connect is to the neighbor's pole which is at 900ft distance from our house over the property line but that will required an easement. Our neighbor kindly accepted, so we need to work with a lawyer for that. Because the power lines will be located just on private properties the local electrical distributor (Hydro One) will not do the work or quote so our only chance is to work with the contractors.
Does anybody knows how much will cost to run the power lines on poles or underground over 900ft? We found only 2 contractors in the area but already 4 weeks passed and they keep saying that they are busy to quote. I have a fell they are checking us to see how "hungry" we are to bite in this.

If you know a contractor in Grey county Owen Sound area please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

/ Cost to connect to the grid? #2  
When I was looking a few years ago at a property and getting electric to a building about that distance, the cost is obscene. At that point I realized that off grid is the only way these days to do something not a hundred feet or less. I can tell you the cost of several Tesla batteries were less than above ground electric and a box. My quote for 2200 feet was $77k.

/ Cost to connect to the grid? #3  
A realtor bought the 10 acre property across the road from me. Primary runs down the road on his side. He got a quote from SCE which does all line extensions for 2 poles, transformer and line at $88,000 (less than 200’). Absolutely crazy, but the area is about tapped out on capacity so they are charging new customers for their upgrade to increase capacity. Needless to say, he didn’t go.

Aren’t monopolies great.

/ Cost to connect to the grid? #4  
A realtor bought the 10 acre property across the road from me. Primary runs down the road on his side. He got a quote from SCE which does all line extensions for 2 poles, transformer and line at $88,000 (less than 200’). Absolutely crazy, but the area is about tapped out on capacity so they are charging new customers for their upgrade to increase capacity. Needless to say, he didn’t go.

Aren’t monopolies great.
Talked to the local power company servicing the property we just bought. They will hook us up for free

/ Cost to connect to the grid? #5  
The utility companysetting a new pole/wires/transformer/porch light and 200 amp service 150’ from existing line

$2000

/ Cost to connect to the grid? #6  
You found 2 contractors in the area but 4 weeks out, they are to busy for "new" work.....What is the chance they will have time in the future for a repair after a wind storm?

I would pay the price your electric utility company quotes, or keep doing what you have been doing.

/ Cost to connect to the grid? #7  
Did the contractors quote a price for underground service too ?

I recommend going underground if possible and not
have to worry about 900 ft of overhead line repair
due to storm damage.

Last edited:
   / Cost to connect to the grid?
You found 2 contractors in the area but 4 weeks out, they are to busy for "new" work.....What is the chance they will have time in the future for a repair after a wind storm?

I would pay the price your electric utility company quotes, or keep doing what you have been doing.
As I mentioned in my post, the electric utility company doesn't do the work on private properties so my only option is to work with contractors.

Aren’t monopolies great.
Was any break down on that quote to understand the reason why 88K. Labour, materials?

When I was looking a few years ago at a property and getting electric to a building about that distance, the cost is obscene. At that point I realized that off grid is the only way these days to do something not a hundred feet or less. I can tell you the cost of several Tesla batteries were less than above ground electric and a box. My quote for 2200 feet was $77k.
Any details in that quote? How much was the material and how much labour?
About Tesla batteries, those are not cheap either.