Clutch repair questions 2005 New Holland TC40S4 40hp 12x12

/ Clutch repair questions 2005 New Holland TC40S4 40hp 12x12 #1  

MVTractor

Tractor
2005 New Holland TC45A boomer
In need of new clutch and left on my own to order . Looking around I am finding generally $250-$275 should cover my need for clutch, pressure plate, and bearings. Then I came across Partspring and see only the clutch is over $600.00. So wondering if the high price is OEM,that much better quality, or just get what you can $$. Also notice a woven clutch on line. Is that a better quality? Most everything i see is around the lower price so thinking quality is all about the same. I live in a very difficult place to get mechanical work done and do not want to go through this again. My tractor is a 2005 New Holland TC40 12x12 Serial # TC40S4 Any one know what the S4 represents, I have looked around and can't find a notation for that part of the serial #. I notice a damper advertised and the one on the tractor looked OK, wondering if it is necessary to change this part or not. Thanks in advance, have not had to deal with this effort on a farm tractor and want to get it right the 1st time.

/ Clutch repair questions 2005 New Holland TC40S4 40hp 12x12 #2  
In need of new clutch and left on my own to order . Looking around I am finding generally $250-$275 should cover my need for clutch, pressure plate, and bearings. Then I came across Partspring and see only the clutch is over $600.00. So wondering if the high price is OEM,that much better quality, or just get what you can $$. Also notice a woven clutch on line. Is that a better quality? Most everything i see is around the lower price so thinking quality is all about the same. I live in a very difficult place to get mechanical work done and do not want to go through this again. My tractor is a 2005 New Holland TC40 12x12 Serial # TC40S4 Any one know what the S4 represents, I have looked around and can't find a notation for that part of the serial #. I notice a damper advertised and the one on the tractor looked OK, wondering if it is necessary to change this part or not. Thanks in advance, have not had to deal with this effort on a farm tractor and want to get it right the 1st time.

"West Tisbury"...ah ha ....the Vineyard!
I am from the Cape.
I also have a summer cottage in Nova Scotia.
Took my Ford 1920 FEL to Nova Scotia to use for the summer, and to have refurbished.
Mechanical talent there is excellent, and prices are very reasonable.
I bought a complete aftermarket clutch on line, because Messick's seemed too expensive.
BIG MISTAKE on my part.
Tractor (1989 - 1056 hrs.) was completely torn down, repaired, clutch installed, and completely repainted.
It looked like new,.... and still does.
The mistake: The aftermarket (Chinese) clutch failed after only 5 hours.
I should have bought the OEM clutch from Messick's !!!!
I will NEVER again buy any aftermarket internal parts!
Starter, 3pt parts, seat, water pump, alternator, etc....... I will consider buying those aftermarket.
ABSOLUTELY NO internal aftermarket parts!!!
Buy from Messick's !!!
They are exceptional people to work with!

/ Clutch repair questions 2005 New Holland TC40S4 40hp 12x12 #3  
First, I think the S4 means it's a synchro or shuttle 4wd, but can't remember for sure.
I disagree with the aftermarket being inferior. HyCapacity's F450280NU Pressure plate and disc are a good replacement as they are likely LUK branded which are found in many tractors from the factory. I don't remember if you can buy from HyCapacity, but Tractor Joe sells it for about $225.

/ Clutch repair questions 2005 New Holland TC40S4 40hp 12x12 #4  
I am installing the hy cap clutch right now, we got a lot of use from the factory clutch under extreme use, so we are a good candidate to see if they are hi quality replacements, I got mine from Larsen lights as they had the best price, and confirmed prior to sale they were in stock no delay ready to ship. 400 dollars including disc plate and release bearing.

Last edited: