Cleaning Landscape Rock in Flower Beds

/ Cleaning Landscape Rock in Flower Beds #1  

Spike56

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 2355
After a few years of continuous weeding, I decided to create a buffer zone around my entire house. These "flower beds" extend 8-10' all the way around. I chose to use landscape cloth and top this with "small" washed rock. The rocks are say 3" down to .5" washed gravel that I can get locally. The entire area is separated from the yard using steel edging. This has worked very well compared to landscape cloth and mulching or just mulching. The mulch was a dismal failure at keeping weeds from growing.
After a couple of years however, the rocks accumulate dirt / debris. To clean the rocks I have, with limited success used a leaf blower, and home-made sifter (feed tub with holes) to clean out areas. I have searched on the web and see several ideas with home made rock tumblers / screens. The tumblers are beyond practical for me to build. A couple of the DYI sifter ideas are better than what I have now, but I could really use something that could process the rocks with less effort.
My only idea at the moment is a cement mixer with correct size holes to allow dirt, "junk", and water to fall out. But, I think the mixers might run too fast. So just looking to see if I am missing anything. I would not mind purchasing something rather than trying to build some gizmo.
Any experience with this would be helpful.

Thanks !

/ Cleaning Landscape Rock in Flower Beds #2  
We have rock beds around our house as well using 2-3 " Delaware Valley stone. We use landscape ties as borders with landscape cloth underneath. We call them our "box o' rocks" :)

Since there are no plantings nearby, we use spray bleach to control mold and, like you, occasionally blow out debris with a leaf blower. Every few years, I load the stone in the FEL bucket of my tractor and use a pressure washer to get off the stubborn stuff. I tip the bucket back and forth a few times causing the stone to rub against itself and rewash.

The stone we use does not have a fine, smooth finish though and this process is probably not the best idea for polished rock.

I have seen people use a cement mixer as a tumbler for landscape rock but it's a slow process.

/ Cleaning Landscape Rock in Flower Beds
We have rock beds around our house as well using 2-3 " Delaware Valley stone. We use landscape ties as borders with landscape cloth underneath. We call them our "box o' rocks" :)

Since there are no plantings nearby, we use spray bleach to control mold and, like you, occasionally blow out debris with a leaf blower. Every few years, I load the stone in the FEL bucket of my tractor and use a pressure washer to get off the stubborn stuff. I tip the bucket back and forth a few times causing the stone to rub against itself and rewash.

The stone we use does not have a fine, smooth finish though and this process is probably not the best idea for polished rock.

I have seen people use a cement mixer as a tumbler for landscape rock but it's a slow process.
Yeah, about what I am currently doing too. In my case, mold is not an issue (the Texas sun pretty much bakes this off). Of course, for me, a difficult task is removing the rock to be cleaned without damage to the fabric. But, that's what I get for doing this ! Have a lot of dirt / dust in mine, the wind howls around here. May have to try a screen over my shop vac tube ? Of course, the screen will not get anything but dirt and will probably plug up all the time. Don't know. :) Just looking for ideas to TRY to make it easier.

/ Cleaning Landscape Rock in Flower Beds #4  
I had a customer with very expensive but dirty stone about 12 years ago. These days i'd use an actual vibratory screening table but what worked quite well at the time was the expanded metal fold down ramp of a lawncare trailer. I removed it from the trailer and set it up on an angle to let the rock tumble over. If you didnt have access to something like that you could also buy a sheet of expanded metal (I think its 3/4" x #9) from any steel yard and just make a cheap 2x4 frame. last time I bought any it was 65 bucks for a 4'x8' sheet so its probably closer to 100 now. Otherwise, we'll use basically the most powerful commercial leaf blower you can buy but its pretty messy.

I had a customer with very expensive but dirty stone about 12 years ago. These days i'd use an actual vibratory screening table but what worked quite well at the time was the expanded metal fold down ramp of a lawncare trailer. I removed it from the trailer and set it up on an angle to let the rock tumble over. If you didnt have access to something like that you could also buy a sheet of expanded metal (I think its 3/4" x #9) from any steel yard and just make a cheap 2x4 frame. last time I bought any it was 65 bucks for a 4'x8' sheet so its probably closer to 100 now. Otherwise, we'll use basically the most powerful commercial leaf blower you can buy but its pretty messy.
Good idea, I thought about a screen and have some expanded metal. Only issue is the rock I have contains a lot of smaller, almost pebble size. But, likely will have to build something like that with a smaller welded wire on top.

/ Cleaning Landscape Rock in Flower Beds #6  
I'm using 3/4 clear gravel which is semi smooth. It's about 4 inches thick on landscape fabric. So far it's been keeping pretty clean on its own. I also have a garden with 3"-6" field stones in one/two layers thick over landscape fabric. That's more of a debris magnet for some reason.

What are you trying to clean, plant debris? Moss?

/ Cleaning Landscape Rock in Flower Beds #7  
I have had rock to replace mulch for over 30 years, in Virginia.
The first attempt was using 3/4" decorative stone.
At that time, decorative rock, and decorative mulch were priced identically, per "scoop".
I could not understand why anyone would buy mulch, year, after year,,,, after year,,,,
The 3/4" rock size was a disaster, the leaf blower could move the rocks,, AND the chickens could also move the rocks.
The next rock that I purchased was 1.5" sized rocks,, no more moving.

A couple years ago, I installed a lot of this stone, much larger, and very colorful, it is from Ohio.

XSXhNor.jpg

Amazingly, the leaves do not seem to collect on these larger sized rocks,, maybe the rocks hold up the leaves, so the wind can blow them away?

For edging, I use "rip rap" sized stone, that for the most part, I have enough on my property to do my home.

LkxiEwk.jpg

Here is a pic of the area next to the house, landscape fabric down, shrubs in, and large rock edging in place.

2w0oo8n.jpg

I simply added the rock from the trailer above to complete the area.

My BR600 Stihl easily keeps the area leaf-free, and looking like the day it was installed.

Oh, and the first reason that I ever looked at "hardscape"?
We had our home inspected for a loan appraisal.
The inspector said we had termites,, I asked,, "WHERE??"
He said in the mulch, every home in Virginia that has mulch, has termites in the mulch.

After that,, the decision was made to remove the mulch.

/ Cleaning Landscape Rock in Flower Beds #8  
After a couple of years however, the rocks accumulate dirt / debris. To clean the rocks I have, with limited success used a leaf blower,

I just re-read the first post,,
The problem may be the type blower being used.
Most hand-held gas, or the electric blowers are pretty useless in trying to remove debris from decorative stone.

If you try the Stihl BR600,, or now, they even have two that are more powerful, you will easily clean the stones.
Rent a big backpack blower, wear a hat, goggles, long sleeves,, and make the stone look new!! o_O

/ Cleaning Landscape Rock in Flower Beds #9  
After a few years of continuous weeding, I decided to create a buffer zone around my entire house. These "flower beds" extend 8-10' all the way around. I chose to use landscape cloth and top this with "small" washed rock. The rocks are say 3" down to .5" washed gravel that I can get locally. The entire area is separated from the yard using steel edging. This has worked very well compared to landscape cloth and mulching or just mulching. The mulch was a dismal failure at keeping weeds from growing.
After a couple of years however, the rocks accumulate dirt / debris. To clean the rocks I have, with limited success used a leaf blower, and home-made sifter (feed tub with holes) to clean out areas. I have searched on the web and see several ideas with home made rock tumblers / screens. The tumblers are beyond practical for me to build. A couple of the DYI sifter ideas are better than what I have now, but I could really use something that could process the rocks with less effort.
My only idea at the moment is a cement mixer with correct size holes to allow dirt, "junk", and water to fall out. But, I think the mixers might run too fast. So just looking to see if I am missing anything. I would not mind purchasing something rather than trying to build some gizmo.
Any experience with this would be helpful.

Thanks !
I went through this whole process, over several years, at a previous house. Eventually got tired of the hassle, ripped it all out and planted grass. Put the flowers in planters and raised beds.

I went through this whole process, over several years, at a previous house. Eventually got tired of the hassle, ripped it all out and planted grass. Put the flowers in planters and raised beds.
It could happen that way for me also. I have thought seriously about HD artificial carpet / concrete ! Maybe even pouring sack concrete over the rocks and watering in.