Chimney wall thimble for metal siding

/ Chimney wall thimble for metal siding #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Dont really see a good way to flash around a chimney wall thimble for a pole barn.

Show some pics or a description of what you did if you have a chimney going through a wall with standard metal siding.

Going to help a friend put up chimney....and this trim/flashing detail has us stumped. Googling and everyone is basically saying silicone, or notch for the ribs, etc. Windows can be purchased with a J-channel built in. So figured I'd be able to find a wall thimble for a chimney just the same....but Im striking out

/ Chimney wall thimble for metal siding #2  
That's a good one.
I think that I'd buy a short length of bigger pipe (than your actual flue) and accurately trace it to the metal (from the inside) and cut it. You'd only need a few inches of it but I'd go with 6".
Fab some angle "clips" to screw to both the wall and this pip. Short sheet metal screws should work. Put a slight downward angle on it for drainage and silicone caulk both sides.
Then send the flue pipe through and pack the space with loose fiberglass insulation to keep the critters and wind out.
At least that's my shot at this.
Being metal and staying away from any combustibles be 16" (?) I don't see any reason for a expensive wall kit like the triple wall insulated pipe uses.

/ Chimney wall thimble for metal siding #3  
My chimney for the wood stove in the garage was put in after the siding was installed. A clearance hole was cut through the drywall, and then through the wall board and horizontal aluminum siding. Then a flat sheet metal piece was siliconed around on the outside. I don't remember if thre was a larger pipe pushed through the opening or not. This was for a double wall chimney pipe. The wall penetration went out a side wall, not the gable end. Jon

/ Chimney wall thimble for metal siding #4  
You need this piece below and you seal it with silicone, if you want to add a J trim you will have to slide it under the tin after the hole is cut and screw the J trim on top of the tin...

1666550375356.png

Last edited:
   / Chimney wall thimble for metal siding #6  
I’d put the upper edge of the wall flange under the above piece of vertical siding to prevent leaks. Crimp the siding above it to kick out water

/ Chimney wall thimble for metal siding #10  
I'm curious, if you are going to penetrate the roof anyway, why not run the chimney pipe inside and thru a roof thimble?
Didn't seem like the second picture showed it going through the roof.