Changing tires yourself? 23x8.50x14 R4 tires

/ Changing tires yourself? 23x8.50x14 R4 tires #1  

Sodo

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B-series & Mini Excavator
My 2710 needs new front tires. It's a half-day project at least to (take the wheels into town and) have the two front tires changed for $332. These front tires are about the same size as a small car tire. Wondering if anybody has DIY experience.

I can order tires on the internet for $260 delivered. Compared to $332 and a half a day, (that's kind of like $532).

How difficult is it to change a tractor tire of that size? (23x8.50x14 R4) It's pretty easy to "try" and I'm not afraid of spending a couple hours on it, that's much faster than the half day (minimum) to drive to town. I can break the bead with hydraulics. Maybe re-set the bead with a ratchet strap (?) I understand how its done - I've changed a lot of motorcycle tires and a few other types, but not tractors.

/ Changing tires yourself? 23x8.50x14 R4 tires #2  
I've changed plenty of tractor tires in my day. Not very difficult if you've got the tools and know how. Getting the bead to seat on some tubeless tires can be a challenge some times

/ Changing tires yourself? 23x8.50x14 R4 tires #3  
I've changed a few that had tubes. It was easier when I was younger but still, no big deal.

/ Changing tires yourself? 23x8.50x14 R4 tires #4  
I've changed them too. Its a little tougher than a car tire due to more tire plies on tractor tires. But if you have the tire irons it can be done.

Last edited:
   / Changing tires yourself? 23x8.50x14 R4 tires #5  
It's even better when you have a helper, the jobs usually not too bad, the hardest part sometimes is breaking the bead.

/ Changing tires yourself? 23x8.50x14 R4 tires
It's even better when you have a helper, the jobs usually not too bad, the hardest part sometimes is breaking the bead.

Thx all for the replies. Was thinking a helper would be good….. I have an excavator (with a thumb) to break the bead.

/ Changing tires yourself? 23x8.50x14 R4 tires #7  
I hope you would just use the flat backside of the bucket with the tire laying on the ground as to not potentially wreck your rim, I picture a whoops lol.

/ Changing tires yourself? 23x8.50x14 R4 tires
that's what a guy with no thumb does - not sure I can agree to that :D

/ Changing tires yourself? 23x8.50x14 R4 tires #9  
I've done all my tractor tires myself including the rear tires on my Case 580K. I did just like you said, use the backhoe to break the bead and then tire irons to remove and install the tire. Tubes help as they make beading the new tire easy. Car wheels have a bead that helps keep the tire on the wheel when the pressure gets low, tractors don't seam to have it so breaking the bead is probably easier than you realize. If it's rusty that will make it hard to get off. If you do have tubes put some air in them so they are roughly the shape they would be if pumped up, not too much, they should be easy to squeeze, before putting the outer bead on the wheel. A flat tube can easily get pinched while one with air will usually move out of the way. Get a can of spray silicone that's good for rubber to help lubricate the tires to make them go on easier.

/ Changing tires yourself? 23x8.50x14 R4 tires #10  
Using dish soap is also a good tire lube, plus helps wash the tires off when you are done.