Century 3525 grinding pto when activating

/ Century 3525 grinding pto when activating #1  

NealinVA

Tractor
Century 2535
Everytime I try to place my 2535 in either 540 or 1000 PTO mode the gears grind it's hard to get it to activate without pretty severe grinding. Once it's in place it runs fine no other noises or problems. Has anyone had this issue and if so what did you do?

Thanks in advance as always you guys are a huge help.

Last edited:
   / Century 3525 grinding pto when activating #2  
Is your 2535 a live or independent pto,
if it's a live pto is your foot clutch properly adjusted and are you depressing it before selecting a speed?
Does it stop turning when you use the clutch ?
How do you engage your pto is there a lever or switch besides the 540/1000 rpm selector?

/ Century 3525 grinding pto when activating #3  
There is a turnbuckle for adjusting pedal freetravel on the clutch rod. You can try that but it's probably not going to fix it. There are bolts for adjustment on the clutch pressure plate. Unfortunately you have to split the tractor to get to them, so usually a new clutch assembly gets installed.

/ Century 3525 grinding pto when activating #4  
Neal, try to adjust the turnbuckle a bit. I had a similar problem on my 2535 and all it needed was a bit of adjustment. One thing I do notice, is I have to be sure the clutch petal is fully depressed to disengage the PTO portion of the clutch. As Takman said, it that does not work..........then you have bigger job ahead of you.The turnbuckle does give you a fair amount of adjustment. Your manual should provide the specs. W. Jones

/ Century 3525 grinding pto when activating #5  
Neal, try pushing the lever to the 540 rpm setting with the tractor OFF

Once its running, turn the electric PTO switch to the ON position.

Im not sure if your machine has an electric pto switch but all the other bransons I have owned have them.
If this works, the tractor can still be used and no grinding...
I believe you need a new clutch, its a 2 stage clutch and half of it is expired....

/ Century 3525 grinding pto when activating #6  
Neal, try pushing the lever to the 540 rpm setting with the tractor OFF

Once its running, turn the electric PTO switch to the ON position.

Im not sure if your machine has an electric pto switch but all the other bransons I have owned have them.
If this works, the tractor can still be used and no grinding...
I believe you need a new clutch, its a 2 stage clutch and half of it is expired....

/ Century 3525 grinding pto when activating #7  

NealinVA,​

Mine does the same thing. I have messed with the clutch but I think the PTO clutch plate is stuck together. What I did was remove the PTO safety switch on the lever. now I just turn the tractor off, engage the PTO and start the tractor. It's not right but it works and you wont grind down your gear. the 540 and the 1K both have a safety switch. I just removed and zip tied the 540 switch up out of the way since that's the one I use.