Can't believe Sams Club did me this.

/ Can't believe Sams Club did me this. #161  
. Only way with fenders to widen the contact patch on the ground is lower the aspect ratios
That's just wrong. Here are two tires and wheel sizes with same width and circumference with vastly different sidewalls. The reason for low pro tires are larger diameter
brakes, looks and that's what people equate with high performance street car.

Screenshot_20230317_211901_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230317_211901_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230317_211959_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230317_211959_Chrome.jpg
    608.2 KB · Views: 50
   / Can't believe Sams Club did me this. #162  
Lower sidewall makes the tire stiffer in lateral movements and generally more responsive to steering inputs. It also reduces tire flex and thus reduces heat build up from hysteresis in the tire rubber so they run cooler under racing and hard driving conditions.

You seriously trying to compare F1/Indycar tires to commercially available passenger car tires - even sports car tires? C'mon now...

/ Can't believe Sams Club did me this. #163  
Lower sidewall makes the tire stiffer in lateral movements and generally more responsive to steering inputs. It also reduces tire flex and thus reduces heat build up from hysteresis in the tire rubber so they run cooler under racing and hard driving conditions.

You seriously trying to compare F1/Indycar tires to commercially available passenger car tires - even sports car tires? C'mon now...
Also, I'd bet 99% of the reason indy car tires are like they are is because that's what the rule book calls for.

/ Can't believe Sams Club did me this. #164  
Open wheel racing cars don't have to contend with fitting the tire and wheel inside the fenders. Only way with fenders to widen the contact patch on the ground is lower the aspect ratio. That's where the Z45 and Z35's come into play. You end up with same circumference but wider contact area, larger wheel, lower sidewall for stiffness. Also Indy car tires are super soft compound that is disposed of every 250-500 miles.
They only last about 70 miles. ;)

/ Can't believe Sams Club did me this. #165  
Yes, that is an honest comparison. That is where the money is to drive innovation.

But because the commercial money is (right or wrong) now on low profile tires F1 is on their 2nd season of low profile tires.

I corner as fast and am as happy with steering on my vehicles with 60 and 65 series tires as my one with 45 series tires.

Have had one 50 series damaged beyond the ability to hold air on interstate. I do not like low profile tires.

/ Can't believe Sams Club did me this. #166  
Yes, that is an honest comparison. That is where the money is to drive innovation.

But because the commercial money is (right or wrong) now on low profile tires F1 is on their 2nd season of low profile tires.

I corner as fast and am as happy with steering on my vehicles with 60 and 65 series tires as my one with 45 series tires.

Have had one 50 series damaged beyond the ability to hold air on interstate. I do not like low profile tires.

Me neither.

21 inch wheels on my new Tesla Y 35 aspect ratio....

It handles great but so does my TA with 50 series tires on 15" wheels.

This has the large calipers but there is no reason an 18" wheel could not be used and people do switch to them from these 21's.

I think the Big hoops are "in style" because what the younger generation thinks is "cool". Period.

Darn That Fast and Furious movie series!!! :)

/ Can't believe Sams Club did me this. #167  
I think the Big hoops are "in style" because what the younger generation thinks is "cool". Period.

Darn That Fast and Furious movie series!!! :)
Some years ago neighbor’s kid put 24” or bigger wheels with tires that looked to be little thicker than rubber bands on a Caprice. Tire looked like some fork lift tires I have seen. Lifted like a poser truck to make room for the hoops.

Not much latter the car needed a transmission. Overworked torque converter for being effectively geared so high. The second time he had to replace the transmission the wheels were sold and the car was scrapped to help pay for the first transmission and buy something cheaper to own and drive.

/ Can't believe Sams Club did me this. #168  
Should have changed the rear end to a much higher ratio.

/ Can't believe Sams Club did me this. #169  
Should have changed the rear end to a much higher ratio.
Of course, but that costs extra and the rest of the car looked like heck. But the wheels were big and shiny!

/ Can't believe Sams Club did me this. #170  
My car (sports sedan) has 19" wheels and the fronts are 40 series and the rears are 35 series as they are wider. I already lost one front tire to a nasty pothole at 75mph on the freeway in the first year. My wife was driving at the time and not watching as closely as I do, but dunno if I would have caught it in time either. There was a 20" option too, but I avoided it due to the risk being even higher