Cadplan 821 Digger

/ Cadplan 821 Digger #1  

dourobob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Wheel Horse 522xi
Has anyone ever built one of these things and /or seen one in operation. I have ordered a set of plans with a friend of mine and we hope to share the end product. We would be really interested in any tips or ideas about enhancements that anyone may have done - such as hydraulic stabilizers. Would you recommend the kit or get materials locally? etc.
Thanks.
Bob

/ Cadplan 821 Digger #2  
Try going to this <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/brutusbackhoe/>site</A> , I think that it might be what you are looking for.

/ Cadplan 821 Digger #3  
Someone from the old Yahoo Homebuilt tractor stuff group named "gholler" built a beautiful 708 and had some great photos of it out there before the big erase and conversion from a club to a group. If anyone knows who "gholler" is, it would be great to get him to post those caddiger images here.

/ Cadplan 821 Digger #4  
I built the smaller 628. I love it. We made a few changes to it. We covered the boom swing cylinder and foot plate with a grid to provide a flat foot support. Also to provide a nonslip surface as well as being able to hose out any debrise. some pics:http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/mrcaptainbob/lst?.dir=/dirt-digger&.view=t
Also added lights on the boom extension to light the bucket, extra hydraulic ports (in/out) for auxiliary equipment such as log splitter. The main spine was extended eight inches to provide more room between the seat and engine cover (not shown). The seat was made adjustable height wise. Three buckets were made. 15", 8" and 6". All are carried on the machine and travel with it. If I did it over, I'd build the next size up. I also would like to increase the swing from the 120 degrees to something closer to 180. A fun toy......

/ Cadplan 821 Digger
Thanks for the response CaptainBob. Nice looking machine. My buddy and I just received the plans yesterday and spent a great afternoon discussing the possibilities. We are in Central Ontario Canada and are having some trouble justifying the MetKit approach because of the exchange and the shipping costs. Did you start with a kit or did you fabricate all of your pieces.
I really like the idea of the light shining on the bucket. Do you have any suggestions on increasing the swing to more than 120 degrees. As I said, we are just beginning and he has a lot more shop and mechanical experience than I do so he may have already figured that one out, but another point of view is always welcomed.

Douro Bob

/ Cadplan 821 Digger #6  
Jim, was this 708 mounted to a JD compact? If so, I downloaded all his pics and have them. I can send them out in a zip file if someone wants them.

/ Cadplan 821 Digger #7  
That may be the one. The digger was mounted to a JD 4100. the photos showed it under construction, and finished setting in the driveway with the kids' toys, and the garage in the background. Is there a way you can attach them here, so they are available to all? Thanks!

/ Cadplan 821 Digger #8  
I ordered the hydraulics from Metkit. The hose lengths, fittings, pump and cylinders were already figured out. And I couldn't beat the price. As for the metal, fabricating was almost too easy. My son-in-law worked at a fabrication shop that trashed more metal in a month than what it took for this dirt-digger. He cut and welded the main stuff. Then we hauled it to my garage for finish. I have an old Skil table saw that has a cutoff wheel for a blade. It makes quick work of even 1/2" stock. Nice with a fence and miter gage, too. The light on the boom is a halogen spot 'fog' that came from Murray's. I'll post some current pictures in the next couple days showing the finished product....