Buying Advice Buying a 2007 NH Tc40 DA w/ 250TL loader (today) ~ What to look for in assessing ???

/ Buying a 2007 NH Tc40 DA w/ 250TL loader (today) ~ What to look for in assessing ??? #1  

GrnMtnMan

Tractor
JD 5425, NH T4.75, NH TC40DA
I know this is short notice but if there any suggestions on things to look for in my pre-purchase 'once over' I'd appreciate your $.02... The Tractor looks 'mint' with just under 600 hr's. Primarily I would like to tease out any transmission / cruise control issues (its a hydro) & I have NO experience with hydro tractors; all my tractors to date are / have been manual. I'm a JD owner & the last 'blue' tractor was a 90's 1720 so NH is out of my 'wheel house', so to speak... Tks

/ Buying a 2007 NH Tc40 DA w/ 250TL loader (today) ~ What to look for in assessing ??? #2  
I have read of several of that model "split"(broke the casting) I would look for evidence of cracking or repair.

/ Buying a 2007 NH Tc40 DA w/ 250TL loader (today) ~ What to look for in assessing ???
Good advice... Fortunately this tractor seems to be a needle in a haystack find. I'm thrilled to have gotten a 2007 vs the alternative of buying something new; for a host or reasons, lol... I hooked up my 6' Woods finish mower (will try out my 7' mower on it tomorrow) & really came to enjoy the hydrostatic trans for mowing. Not sure that I'd want it for the big heavy stuff that my larger JD tractors do, but in this application I'm really pleased with the Tc40da compact package. It is really kind of nice to be on a smaller tractor for a change & l really like the float on soft ground that these R4 tires provide. It's nice to be on a blue tractor at long last as I sort of grew up 'cutting my teeth' on my trusty Ford 1720... :)

I'll be looking into rear remotes in the near future & have gotten some useful information on making that happen from reading other posts on this website. I have to say that New Holland did a great job on these older TC series tractors & to find one 13 years later that's barely broken in is a blessing!

tc40da.jpg

/ Buying a 2007 NH Tc40 DA w/ 250TL loader (today) ~ What to look for in assessing ??? #4  
Do some research . Just put in Tc 40 da problems. Off the top of my head' cracks where the rear fenders are mounted, hydraulic cooler lines above battery swelling, z bar at hydro peddle cracking , turtle rabbit switch on joystick broken.. Don,t want to sound rude but it's all here . Check out Jinmans tc 40 thread . Don't let it scare you great machine just all pittly sh--t but it's good to know . Also read about adding oil slowly. Thats my next tractor I buy:thumbsup: Looks like a beauty I'd buy it.:drink:

/ Buying a 2007 NH Tc40 DA w/ 250TL loader (today) ~ What to look for in assessing ??? #5  
Oh yeah factory rear remotes from NH will costyou 2k don't ask me how I know.:drink:

/ Buying a 2007 NH Tc40 DA w/ 250TL loader (today) ~ What to look for in assessing ???
Given the cost of rear remotes, I'll probably just add the one remote (#84171956). Key to my decision is whether this little 40hp tractor can even handle (in a pinch) a few integral applications on my property w/ my existing equipment.

- Balfor (40hp min.) firewood processor; not so concerned w/ the gpm flow to run the conveyor & splitter but in the PTO in powering the big circular saw blade
- Round bale grabber ~ (it's heavy) not sure the 250TL loader can handle it w/ a 1200 - 1400 round bale
- hydraulic angle 9' snow plow (in light snow)

I want this NH tractor to be able to at least marginally handle the above should my larger JD tractors be down for repairs etc. mostly just as a backup... If the Tc40 can't perform the above tasks I'll perhaps have to scrap the idea of adding a rear remote... Any anecdotal experiences toward that end would be helpful.

(good tip on adding oil slowly btw, tks)

/ Buying a 2007 NH Tc40 DA w/ 250TL loader (today) ~ What to look for in assessing ??? #7  
250 tl loader 1,600 lbs. max lift. my tc 29 d' pushes a 8' box blade in light snow. tc 45da 37.8 hp at the pto:drink:

/ Buying a 2007 NH Tc40 DA w/ 250TL loader (today) ~ What to look for in assessing ??? #8  
Do some research . Just put in Tc 40 da problems. Off the top of my head' cracks where the rear fenders are mounted, hydraulic cooler lines above battery swelling, z bar at hydro peddle cracking , turtle rabbit switch on joystick broken.. Don,t want to sound rude but it's all here . Check out Jinmans tc 40 thread . Don't let it scare you great machine just all pittly sh--t but it's good to know . Also read about adding oil slowly. Thats my next tractor I buy:thumbsup: Looks like a beauty I'd buy it.:drink:

Check that these concerns actually apply to the model in question.

/ Buying a 2007 NH Tc40 DA w/ 250TL loader (today) ~ What to look for in assessing ??? #9  
Previous owner TC26DA no complaints did observe the TSB on changing oil. States you must pour in oil slow or risk allowing it to enter into cylinder leading to hydraulic lock bending connecting rod. Never did but have read others here on this site have. Also NH dealer told me not to mount loader on tractor the rear mounts on bell housing notorious on cracking housing. I always used my tractor with MMM and other implements including Woods RC5 bush hog. Disappointed unit was 2 speed hydrostatic it could have used 3rd speed. Reliable tractor overall best of luck. I agree it is hard to find low hour aged tractor I bought mine 2006 model in 2014 (249 hours) and traded it in 2020 with 450 hours. Again mowed yard primarily with unit.

/ Buying a 2007 NH Tc40 DA w/ 250TL loader (today) ~ What to look for in assessing ??? #10  
I bought my 2002 TC40S new as a rental return with twenty hours on the meter. Now eighteen years later it has 700 hours with no down time. The best part of the tractor is the lower horse power in a large four cylinder engine.
Look up jinman's (RIP) posts as he was my go to for anything TC40, he walked me through installing remotes, how to remove the FEL, etc.
I run a top and tilt, FEL grapple, log splitter, BH90-X backhoe and a York rake, all of which run off hydraulics.